Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Beginning the hunt on the East Coast

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are excited to be jumping into our own skoolie adventure. We have been considering it for a while, and looked at a few buses a couple years ago thinking we might convert one ourselves. The time wasn't right but it's remained at the back of our minds. A few months ago we learned that my mother has got some health issues and won't be well for a while and that was really the impetus we needed to decide now is the time! We currently live in the suburbs and will continue to do so for a few years until my step-daughters age out of school and shared custody. This means we are a bit of a drive from my family's homestead and we have decided parking a skoolie at their place to live in half the week when we don't need to be in the city is the perfect solution. It will give us a low-cost second home so I can be close to my mom and we can get out of the 'burbs for at least part of the time!

This does mean we will be looking for something that is at least mostly converted as time is what we don't have. We have been scouring Craigslist, tinyhouselistings.org and this forum for a week or so in hopes of finding the perfect bus. Finding something at the right price point, within reasonable distance of us and with a good layout and our basic needs already in place is harder than we thought but we have put out a feel feelers and are anxiously awaiting to hear back from some sellers. I can already tell this forum is going to be amazing for learning what to look for in a bus as well as getting ideas and input on updates or alterations we might make once we have one!

PhotiniJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Best of luck on your search! Welcome to the site.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Where are you located? It would help get you more specific area related answers. Go to you User CP and fill out your profile. What's your budget and how far are you willing to go for one?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry I was thinking of positing as ISO when I have time but here are the pertinent facts. We are in NYS (Rochester area) and willing to travel for the right bus. Within a 2 day drive is ideal but we have looked at listings as far west as Colorado. We need something that is livable as is but our max budget is about 15k so we don’t expect anything Pinterest perfect lol. Our main criteria include an open and adaptable layout, space for a queen bed or larger, and good insulation and heat for northern NY winters. A wood stove or space for one would be awesome. We don’t plan on touring sonit doesn’t have to be up to running all over the country. It will mostly be stationary with an occasional regional trip.

I am really smitten with this one but we are having a little trouble getting a hold of the owner. https://athensga.craigslist.org/rvs/...562006503.html
PhotiniJ is offline   Reply With Quote