Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 11:33 PM   #1

Budweiser

Hello, I am new to this site, I just acquired a bus, and well I am sure I will have a lot of questions. It is a 1984 International with a 392 v8, I am excited to start working on it, It may need a new motor and if it does we may convert to Diesel. Also it has the flat slide up and down windows one is broke where would be the best place to get a replacement window. Any ideas on getting a wrap off and what kind of paint do y'all use on the external part of the bus. Maybe some silly questions but as I said I am new to all of this and want to take the correct step's.
Thank you In advance
Amy

Budweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:22 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
To me the "may need a new motor" statement would be a red flag about your bus. I had to replace the engine in my "new Crown" when it spun a main bearing after I bought it. In my case I had already invested in much of the pieces for the infrastructure inside and underneath the bus, and to not fix it, would mean abandoning the project and left with a non-running bus and a lot of expensive hardware. That said, one major factor that made me decide to fix and continue was that it is a Crown 40 ft tandem bus. The replacement engine cost me $3700 and a bunch more for labor and parts. As the replacement engine was made in the 70s I had a fresh set of lower end bearings installed. All of the outside bolt-ons were re-used and the Cummins Big Cam I essentially became a Big Cam III, putting out probably 430 hp. If you go through an engine swap it may double your cost for the bus. Some states frown of converting Gasoline powered vehicles to Diesel (like Cali). If you really really like your bus, OK fix it, but be prepared to spend spend spend, and be down for a few months. I had a shop do my swap as I don't have the tooling to install an engine weighing over 2000 lbs, plus I don't quite have the expertise to do thew work at that level.

I was really happy with the results but before it was driven more than 100 miles I knew a gear ratio change was needed, as it got to redline real quick at 63 mph. Now it is a good highway cruiser than can go 70-75 mph all day.
Check your bus for rot also. If your bus came from the Northeast or Midwest it may need a lot of rust repair.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi Amy...and welcome to the site.

I had the pleasure of meeting Amy recently and she told me about her "free" bus and showed me photos of the full Budweiser wrap it's got. We both agreed that there's no such thing as a free bus.

Amy had seen the FB groups but didn't know about Skoolie.net so I told her she was much more likely to get actual help and experienced input here...as Flattracker already demonstrated.

So...Amy, tell us lots more about that engine and the issues and what your plans are for the bus (will you be driving all over the country or just moving it occasionally?). I think you mentioned that it wasn't running when you got it, but you did get it to the point where your son could drive it? Did I remember that right? Tell us more and someone here can help with diagnostics and input on the engine issue. Can it be saved? Let's see.

Almost any glass shop...doesn't have to be an auto glass shop...can get you a piece of tempered safety glass the size you need for your side window. There are also online sources, too, and I've used a few of those. Once you get the broken one out, and measure it, finding someone to cut and temper a replacement is usually pretty easy and not very pricey.

As far as wrap removal goes, I've never done that so can't offer any input. I look forward to seeing what others say on that...because I like learning here too.

Anyway, again...welcome. Kara and I enjoyed meeting you and we look forward to seeing you back out this way again someday...in your bus!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting Amy recently and she told me about her "free" bus and showed me photos of the full Budweiser wrap it's got. We both agreed that there's no such thing as a free bus.
If it's the three frogs Bud, Weis and Er, I'd keep the wrap.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:14 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
unusual for a 392 esp of that vintage to completely go bad beyond repair..

dont bother trying to convert to diesel.. there is a lot involved in a school busd typically.. for one a diesel engine is much heavier.. if you convert to a V8 then its going to be an IDI which was a pretty lackluster diesel.. if you go I6 now you have to cut open a doghouse, move the transmssion back.. will need different flywheel and clutch if its a stick or different torqwue converter and transmission RPM will be way off.. so then you need a transmission or have the original reworked.. .. a shortened driveshaft..

if you are mechanically and Fabriaction inclined yep you can do this project.. if you are paying a shop to do it get your wallet out because its gonna be pay-pay-pay..

if you want a diesel bus go buy one..

if you want a gasoline bus then diagnose the 392 and figure whats really wrong with it and go from there as to whether you rebuild it or if it must be replaced..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
as for the windows.. what body is the bus? bluebird? ward? carpenter? wayne? thomas?

many of the bus windows used in the 80s are still in use today or can be found at a junkyard.. if the frame of the window is good you can take it out and a glass shop can put a new piece in.. (safelite or similar)
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #7

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
To me the "may need a new motor" statement would be a red flag about your bus. I had to replace the engine in my "new Crown" when it spun a main bearing after I bought it. In my case I had already invested in much of the pieces for the infrastructure inside and underneath the bus, and to not fix it, would mean abandoning the project and left with a non-running bus and a lot of expensive hardware. That said, one major factor that made me decide to fix and continue was that it is a Crown 40 ft tandem bus. The replacement engine cost me $3700 and a bunch more for labor and parts. As the replacement engine was made in the 70s I had a fresh set of lower end bearings installed. All of the outside bolt-ons were re-used and the Cummins Big Cam I essentially became a Big Cam III, putting out probably 430 hp. If you go through an engine swap it may double your cost for the bus. Some states frown of converting Gasoline powered vehicles to Diesel (like Cali). If you really really like your bus, OK fix it, but be prepared to spend spend spend, and be down for a few months. I had a shop do my swap as I don't have the tooling to install an engine weighing over 2000 lbs, plus I don't quite have the expertise to do thew work at that level.

I was really happy with the results but before it was driven more than 100 miles I knew a gear ratio change was needed, as it got to redline real quick at 63 mph. Now it is a good highway cruiser than can go 70-75 mph all day.
Check your bus for rot also. If your bus came from the Northeast or Midwest it may need a lot of rust repair.
Thank you, the bus was free, I know free is not free, I paid for the tow, the bus is in Minnesota but the body is in very good condition, its a work in progress
Old 06-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #8

Thank you.... It is an international

Tags
budweiser