Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
Scared to Post

Bus as moving van/RV for family's cross-country move?

Hi all!

I've been a long-time Skoolie.net lurker, but don't think I ever posted.

Back in 2012 I was in a folk band in Portland, OR that bought a bus, converted it into an tour bus (kinda), and then toured all over the west for five weeks.

The bus was a late-90's (I think) Blue Bird TC2000 with the 5.9L Cummins and the Allison MD3060. Thanks to these forums for educating me on just what was a good bus to get. That bus was amazing, and I still miss it!

If you wanna see that, here are a couple links:

That was years ago, and now I'm married and have two kids, but I still have the bus bug...

I now live in Lancaster, PA, but I recently got a job back in Portland, OR and am trying to figure out how best to move my family across the country in the middle of a pandemic.

The most interesting plan my wife and I have come up with is to buy a school bus, turn the front section into an "RV" (really just slightly improved camping), and to use the back as a moving van. Odds are we'll pull a small trailer too to accommodate things we can't easily get into the bus.

First off, what am I missing here? Is there anything that makes that NOT a good idea? I've driven a full-size RE bus before, and LOVED it, so I'm comfortable doing that. I have not pulled a trailer before, so I am a bit nervous about that, but I'm not planning to pull a big one, and I would load it carefully and be sure to get a hitch professionally installed.

I've found the following bus for sale in NJ which isn't too far from us. It's a 2003 Blue Bird All American with ~138k, the 5.9L Cummins, and as best I can tell, the MD3060. My main concern is rust since it's a NJ bus. I'll call the school Monday and also see about getting a mechanic out to look at it.

Any thoughts on that bus and someone in the area that I could have take a look at it?

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...68&acctid=8615

Thanks a bunch and here's hoping for another epic bus journey!

glbass86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, blue bird, cummins 5.9, family, moving