Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Smile Bus Conversion in Denver, CO

Hello everyone!

My name is Alyssa. I'm just beginning to plan the conversion of a school bus into a home for travel nursing. I'm looking for any and all advice from others who already have or are in the midst of conversion including where to start when it comes to required registration, licenses, etc. Tips on floor plans and optimizing space are welcome too!

A huge thanks in advance for any input!!

AKTrainum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Hello and welcome!

My wife and I met a travelling doctor that was converting a school bus for living in and seeing patients. She said she got the bus she had because of the "basement" storage already in the bus. [Basement storage is the storage areas under the floor level on the outside pf the bus.] For her, the idea was to have the medical supplies in the basement area (those that did not need a controlled room temperature like bandages). Just a thought for you to consider in your search for a bus to fit your needs.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
Hi Alyssa, I'm Tim. My wife Karen and I just bought our first bus and we are in the process of converting it too. When we are done we will use it for travel nursing. We just got converted from bus to RV a couple weeks ago. It's different rules in every state but in AZ we got a copy of the requirements form our motor vehicles department and simply built the basics out of mostly scrap, got inspected and licensed. Wasn't difficult at all. National General insured us no prob before the conversion was complete. Let me know if you need my agents contact info. There's a discussion board on the main forum page all about registering buses. Most of the information on Colorado might be there. I remember reading info on Colorado conversions somewhere in the forums. It's at the mechanic right now getting a once over but when that's done we will start a build thread. Can't wait to meet up on the road!
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

Hi Alyssa! I am about to buy my 1st bus here in Denver to convert as well! Maybe we can meet sometime and bounce ideas and info off each other? Do you already own the bus (if so, what is it?)and are you planning on doing the work yourself?
Stabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

@Stabbie-- I would love to meet up and bounce ideas off each other!! And I don't have the bus quite yet. I'm actually going to check one out in the next few hours. 1991 International 38ft. 160k miles. It's been gutted and insulated and the subfloors have been finished too. Interested to see it! I'm wondering if 1991 is old for a bus? I'm also wondering about mileage? But I'm hoping the previous owners can answer some of my questions too! And yes, planning on working on it myself. With the helps of friends too!!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

@EZ Hippie-- That's awesome! Congrats!! How old is your bus? Mileage? I'm interested to hear. I also greatly appreciate your advice and input! Thank you so much. My next move will be to call DMV and see what all is required for bus to RV conversion here in Denver and then I'll build from there. I would also love to have your agents contact info. Again, thank you so much!! Please keep in touch and let me know how the adventure continues...
Old 02-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

PM me on FB. Abbie Mullett so we can chat more! Cant see private message for some reason..
Stabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
Here's my details

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/dai...bus-25516.html
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote