Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #1

Bus guidance

Hello everyone,

I've been trying looking for a bus for my family. We are looking for something under 30ft and definitely like the look and extra space inside the flat noses. We have been eyeing the Tc2000 only problem is I have read a lot about how bad the at545. Please if anyone has any guidance on whether it's worth it and acceptable or if there is a different model I should keep an eye out for.

Nazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:59 PM   #2
Bus Nut

The shorter and lighter you go, the harder it becomes to find a bus with anything other than the AT545 (or at least that is what I have observed in my limited experience). Plenty of people complain about the AT545 but plenty more people own and tolerate them. Avoid if you can but if you want a shorter bus, maybe don't consider it a dealbreaker. At ~30ft, I'll bet you can find a suitable bus with something else though if you are patient.

There is a 31ft rear engine Thomas with I think a MD3060 and Cat C7 for sale by Las Vegas Bus Sales. 2006 I believe.

There is also a TC1000 for sale in I think phoenix (I'm sure it has an AT545) that looks to be in good condition. Has A/C, high ceiling, 9 window (so roughly 26-29 feet I think).

I like the TC2000 and have never heard anything particularly negative about it.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:12 PM   #3

Dzl_

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!
Old 09-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what do you want to do with your bus? thats where the AT545 really comes into play.. if you are building a heavy conversion and plan to tow a trailer or vehicle, and / or traverse lots of hilly or mountainness areas then you want to avoid the 545.. if your plans are for a trip or 2 a year going from one place to another full-timing with the bus parked 90% of the time, then install a big cooler and send it.. you likely wont have alot of trouble..

as you get upwards in years.. 02-04 and beyond you have much higher chances of a non AT545.. the last production year for the 545 was 2003.. the first production year for the allison 2000 series was mid-year 2000..

of course emissions ion the engines began to be a factor in 2004. and really a factor in 2008+..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #5

The plan is full time and with a decent amount of travel. I live in northern California right now. Since dzl sent me the tc1000 I've been looking for one lately thats closer to the budget of 4,000. It will be a normal conversion not going to be towing.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I think an under-30-footer and no towing you'll be fine with an AT545. While it certainly isn't a sought after option it's not cursed or anything. Just be aware if you get into hilly terrain and as cadillackid says install a good sized transmission cooler.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

we have this one available at our seattle store. Love these little buses.
when towing though they do tend to"sea Saw" a little bit

https://nwbus.com/inventory/school-b...ol-bus-b65102/
AlexLasVegasBusSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLasVegasBusSales View Post
when towing though they do tend to"sea Saw" a little bit
If properly set up and load is properly set up there is no reason why it should do that any more than any other bus.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

As a person that has been working on buses for 20 years and driving probably 100 or so different buses a year. I am telling you from my personal experience that shorter wheel base school buses tend to sea saw over bumps.
AlexLasVegasBusSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my short busses dont seasaw any ,more over bumps than any other time unless im on a really bad road with those huge divets that are common in ohio and indiana, illinois.. but those do get you with bump steer sometimes

they do follow the grooves in the road more though.. all roads other than brand new ones.. esp black top roads begin to get ruts or grooves after a couple years.. my short busses love to try and follow those.. im not exactly centered then I can end up sea-sawing a bit.. I dont notice that on the long bus as much..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my short busses dont seasaw any ,more over bumps than any other time unless i'm on a really bad road with those huge divets that are common in ohio and indiana, illinois.. but those do get you with bump steer sometimes

Two points for the sake of clarity,

1. Your short buses (I believe) have very different dimensions than the bus in question
2. The point about sea-sawing referred to towing specifically

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
If properly set up and load is properly set up there is no reason why it should do that any more than any other bus.

Geometry/Wheelbase and weight distro would be my first thought.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote