Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2022, 11:20 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All-American
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24V
Rated Cap: 84
Oh boy…

Rocky’s not really stupid. He’s an amazing dog and really bright and great with the kids... although he’s not much of a traveler. I just said it because I’m the dad that said no to getting a dog and was the most reluctant at first but ended up being the most attached and takes care of him. I’m not an animal hater by any means. Fear not, my dog is not in danger of abuse. It was a tongue in cheek comment that I suppose was taken the wrong way with no context. My apologies for any confusion/stress. But, here he is!! Not sure why he’s sideways but he’s right side up in real life.
Attached Thumbnails
8FCD96E8-1EDF-4B30-B19B-C2BA89800B58.jpg  

STS23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
arent all dogs stupid? I mean really.. i dont understand the idea of having dogs.. caged up or stuck in a house.. then in a bus (even worse) when people ful-time or camp.. they poop everywhere (and I find it to step in).. they bite.. yeah im *NOT* a dog person..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:08 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
arent all dogs stupid? I mean really.. i dont understand the idea of having dogs.. caged up or stuck in a house.. then in a bus (even worse) when people ful-time or camp.. they poop everywhere (and I find it to step in).. they bite.. yeah im *NOT* a dog person..
Careful what you say around here

I don't really understand the concept of having a pet of any type, not even a gold fish. Shouldn't they be left out in the wild to do animal things rather than be domesticated and controlled their entire lives? Rocky will be our final pet, but he's only 6 so we have 5+ years before he dies. And my foot is firmly down on this one (that is, until the wife or kids change my mind for me and raise my firmly down foot).
Old 08-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Update on the acquisition...

99% sure I've found the bus. I contacted Rossvtaylor and the schoolboard about the BBAA in Arizona and it looks like it's going to work out. https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/f...ool-39619.html

The specs, from what I can tell/Ross's info are:

2001 Bluebird All American FE 15 window / 700' long
5.9 Cummins
MD3060
5.38 axle (per BB Vantage)
77" ceiling (per BB vantage, although it's hard to tell from the video)
Belly storage
173k miles
The price is right.

Now the fun (read: makes me want to puke) part... I need to get this thing 1700 miles home. I plan on flying out to Flagstaff next Thursday and spending Friday morning prepping for the drive, then hitting the road Friday evening. If you see me on I-40E, US-287S, I-20E, or I-10E honk and wave. I've recruited a good friend to ride along/split driving duties.

Anybody have any recommendations/pro tips for a fly-in/drive-out transaction? I don't know what I don't know.

My truck and camper were 56' combined and I was comfortable with that, so I feel like driving a big girl like this won't be too bad, but that rear overhang has me a little nervous in tight turns.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:46 PM   #25
Bus Geek

That looks like a great bus !!!

I’ve flown out and picked up several busses.. hardest part is getting to the bus usually.. in my case I got lucky and sellers or friends took me to each bus which was awesome..

I rarely flew with tools at least not more than I would for a work job. In all cases I didn’t just drive away. I spent some time in the town and drove my new bus around and learned it a bit. In one case I changed the oil and belts before I took off, got a couple tires..

If taking a 1700 mile road trip makes you want to puke then why the hell are you buying a bus ? I mean isn’t that the reason to have one ? No I didn’t “haul ass” on my return trips I took time to enjoy the trip, learn the bus and explore along my route
Old 08-04-2022, 01:39 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
If taking a 1700 mile road trip makes you want to puke then why the hell are you buying a bus ? I mean isn’t that the reason to have one ?

Driving 1700 miles isn't the concern, just the idea of buying something on the other side of the country and the fear of ending up in the middle-of-nowhere west Texas with some unforeseen complication (blowout, collision, ticket, etc.).

I don't actually want to puke, but there is some apprehension.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:04 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Heavily edited quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STS23 View Post
The specs, from what I can tell/Ross's info are:

2001 Bluebird All American FE 15 window / 700' long...

...but that rear overhang has me a little nervous in tight turns.
The rear overhang on a 700 foot-long bus would indeed be pretty intimidating!

I'd wager about half of the regulars on this site had to travel long distances to get their buses. It takes a certain amount of masochism to want to convert a bus. Driving across the country in a decades-old, giant, probably-abused vehicle during the middle of a heatwave is just part of the fun!

Edit: on that last note, I'd recommend getting a decent-sized cooler in Flagstaff and keep lots of ice and water/gatorade on hand. A breakdown on the side of the road is no joke in this heat. A couple bandannas to soak in the icy cooler water and tie around your forehead or neck might also help.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:08 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Heavily edited quote:

The rear overhang on a 700 foot-long bus would indeed be pretty intimidating!

I'd wager about half of the regulars on this site had to travel long distances to get their buses. It takes a certain amount of masochism to want to convert a bus. Driving across the country in a decades-old, giant, probably-abused vehicle during the middle of a heatwave is just part of the fun!
That’s reassuring. Glad I’m not totally nuts… or if I am then I’m glad I’m not alone.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:15 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Quote:
Originally Posted by STS23 View Post
That’s reassuring. Glad I’m not totally nuts… or if I am then I’m glad I’m not alone.
You're definitely off your rocker and you are definitely in the right place.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Excellent advice. Will definitely do that!

I’ll buy a cheap basic tool set out there, lots of water/ice, a hammock (thanks Ross), anything else y’all can think of?

My partner backed out so it looks like I’ll be flying solo so I may be headed out there a little earlier than next Thursday.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:26 PM   #31
Bus Geek

I never thought about being apprehensive .. I. Always buy fluids, and carry them .. tires i look at,, if they look bad then I buy new ones before embarking …

I carry a wallet full of credit cards and have truck down handy in case I need it.

I had a breakdown where my air brake compressor miles on one trip. Stayed in a hotel with a bar for a couple days. Met cool people and got work done
Old 08-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
thats where the owner being trained to teach/ train there animal comes into play.
if a dog bites you or poops in the floor its the humans fault for not teaching the dog unless it bites from its owners command which means the owner dont want you there.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #33
Bus Geek

well living in a neighborhood and having people let their dogs poop in my yard is not what i signed up for..

being bitten while walking on a public sidewalk and having the owner say "oh she doesnt usually do that and laugh.. is one reason to hate the damn little ankle biter

another time was walking oin a public sidewalk and having a dog run off a porch and come down after me,. and the owner say " walk on the other side"... the other side where there was no sidewalk at all and a guardrail... yeah

I hate dogs
Old 08-04-2022, 05:07 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

I'm thinking about naming it "the pug", especially after the lively dog discussion that has cropped up Or maybe "Chancho".

I'll be sure to pick up some engine oil, tranny fluid, coolant, gatorade, water-ade, red bull-ade, maybe some PS fluid, blinker fluid...
Old 08-04-2022, 06:18 PM   #35
Bus Geek

I also use a trucker GPS (co-pilot is the one i choose).. as I can find routes to various places knowing I wont be sent down a road with an 8 ft 9000 lb limit bridge...

there are many out there to choose from.. Google-maps is **NOT** bus-friendly nor is Waze (same as google).. both of those send you down whatever road it thinks will get you there quickest.. even a back alley!
Old 08-04-2022, 06:39 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

That’s good info. Are those just apps on a phone or a stand alone device? Fortunately both the origin and destination are very close to the interstates, so it should be open highway for the majority of the trip.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:53 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
if it poops in others yards and its hair?
maybe doodles?
and if it poops in the house or in someone elses yard then you make them smell it?
not stick there nose in it and say NO.
same thing with pee in the house.
christopher walk on the otherside is not acceptible and you can call animal control about that.
but i dont live or stay where you do?
an animal if trained responds to NO.
if not then you can sue the owner.
the hell with walk on the other side?
HOA is different but still responsible
the county owns 10' on either side of county roadway here and even if you cut the grass that they dont you can get a DWI on a lawnmower. withinin 10'of the road?
that was in my dragracing days and using the road for test and tune but i bought the place because of the straitaway in front of it? they could never prove it? but they got me on a lawn mower DWI for being within 10' of a public roadway?
just looking for stuff?
years ago?
still build motors but test and tune now is dyno or track? mostly dyno i have to send the customer to and want to see the results before the dyno shop plays with it for programming?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I bought an auction bus from Tucson and drove it back to FL in January. I didn't have someone like ross with a full set of tools, so I had 3 50lb limit suitcases checked full of tools and spare parts. I brought all the basics like water pump, serp belt, thermostat etc.

My bus had same drivetrain and it was a pleasure to drive..

I would ask Ross if he could provide a place to change oil, grease everything, and do a pre-trip inspection... I did mine in the back of a Walmart.

I also bought coach net ahead of time. You can call them for coaching help, or have them bring fluids, parts, tires or tow truck if needed.

I drove mine in January when it was cold. And I slept in Walmart parking lots..

I would debate driving at night if the bus doesn't have A/c. I-20, and i10 are awfully hot right now..

If my wife wasn't suspicious on my love for buses, I'd ask to join you! It was a jolly fun time! I'd recommend to make time for something along the route like petrified forest that you wouldn't typically be in the area for. On my trip, we stopped for an hour at Guadalupe Mountains to see something beside the interstate..
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post

My bus had same drivetrain and it was a pleasure to drive..

I would ask Ross if he could provide a place to change oil, grease everything, and do a pre-trip inspection... I did mine in the back of a Walmart.

I would debate driving at night if the bus doesn't have A/c. I-20, and i10 are awfully hot right now..

If my wife wasn't suspicious on my love for buses, I'd ask to join you! It was a jolly fun time! I'd recommend to make time for something along the route like petrified forest that you wouldn't typically be in the area for. On my trip, we stopped for an hour at Guadalupe Mountains to see something beside the interstate..
Ross has been super helpful throughout the process and has offered the use of his tools and a ride from the airport. This guy is a legend! I’m leaning heavily towards driving at night. I won’t be one-shorting it solo, so I’ll be stopping, I just don’t quite know where yet. Did you have any kind of tags on your bus? I’m looking at rest stops, but may also have to consider Walmart too, just want to stay out of the spotlight as much as possible.

As far as tagging along- come on!!! In fact, I got room for you and 83 of your closest friends.

Ross confirmed the governor is set at at least 65 via a previous driver, but they were limited by school policy to that speed.

Since we’re making nearly the exact same trek with the same powerplant, do you recall a rough mpg estimate? I figure I’ll be a little worse off considering the weight, but I’m hoping for 8+ at 60, and since I’m in no rush, I’ll likely be trying to marry being inconspicuous and economical.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:24 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
if it poops in others yards and its hair?
maybe doodles?
and if it poops in the house or in someone elses yard then you make them smell it?
not stick there nose in it and say NO.
same thing with pee in the house.
christopher walk on the otherside is not acceptible and you can call animal control about that.
but i dont live or stay where you do?
an animal if trained responds to NO.
if not then you can sue the owner.
the hell with walk on the other side?
HOA is different but still responsible
the county owns 10' on either side of county roadway here and even if you cut the grass that they dont you can get a DWI on a lawnmower. withinin 10'of the road?
that was in my dragracing days and using the road for test and tune but i bought the place because of the straitaway in front of it? they could never prove it? but they got me on a lawn mower DWI for being within 10' of a public roadway?
just looking for stuff?
years ago?
still build motors but test and tune now is dyno or track? mostly dyno i have to send the customer to and want to see the results before the dyno shop plays with it for programming?

I think its that way here too where the city / county owns the sidewalk and the strip of land between the sidewalk and street.. but you still have to mow it and maintain it.. and if you cut the tree on it down, they will come and plant a new one... im lucky and that tree on mine is a red maple and not a darn bradford pear..

I loved track days... my best track car was prob the 79 Camaro.. it was a streetstrip car... (yep it had A/C and a 650+ HP radical small block).. made a catch-can that caught the A/C water so I could run the air.. once the first staging bulb came on I flipped it to vent ).. car was fast enough the air was still cool when I hit the traps.. it really had way more power than the tires could handle.. so I usually did a lot of wheel spinning and cussing trying to break into the 10s... I rerally was just there for the burnout box and fun times with friends... I eventually got bigger meats under it.. picked up the front too high and it got away from me ended up on my side against the wall.. I fixed the car but never figured out to fix me... I didnt have it in me anymore.. gunshy anytime the car wanted to even think about being wierd id lift.. so I quit track days..