Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #1

Calling all oldtimers! What kind of bus would you buy?

Hello all! My name is Erin and my husband's name is Joel. My husband and I are finally going to take the plunge! We've watched a ton of videos and read and read, but couldn't make heads or tails of all the bus options, so we are coming to the experts! What type of bus would you suggest? Flat faced or no? Engine type? Brand of bus? Special features? Let us know!

Funkymunky420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
We need detailed info on what you want to do with your bus, how many people, what accommodations, etc. Draw up a floor plan in scale. Do you plan on a lot of stationary living, or traveling around. This will help decide suitable drivetrains and size of bus. All the different configurations of buses have positives and negatives to them.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #3

Thanks for replying Marc! I can answer some of your questions. There is just the two of us and two small (just under 10 lbs and just over 15 lbs) dogs. We'd be mostly traveling somewhere and staying awhile- like a month or two each place. We really want to get to know the areas. I need a place to work, a small dining/living area, a small kitchen, bathroom/shower combo, and room for a queen size bed. I can't see your post so I am going to post this and make sure I answered everything.
Funkymunky420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You have a ton of research to do still before selecting a bus. Keep asking questions.
If you plan on much over the road time, there are specific drivetrains to avoid. Consider where you can park and build an RV when considering size. Everything in it will be "a small". With a rear engine bus, you can have a nice size back bedroom, but no outside access. Having a front engine gives you rear storage and access. You need to think about all the little things like this.