Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 09:07 PM   #1

Cannot wait to learn!!!

Hey! Im Nic Ystad, the father (and intermediary between these forums and my lady) of the Ystad Clan! It's just me, my lady, our two young daughters, our large border collie mix, and our much smaller pitbull/terrier mix. We've been following skoolie instagram pages and youtubers for years now. I came into a lump sum of money, and we've decided to invest that money into buying and converting a bus! It's been something we've pondered for a while, and now we are making the jump (excitedly, and nervously)! In the following paragraphs I want to talk about some of the questions that have popped up for us.

Though I went to school for welding and fab, a roof raise seems unrealistic for us, and I'm 6"2. So we've been looking into transit busses mostly, but I also really like the all american bluebird. I know the average height is 72 inches though, and that's without the insulation and ceiling. Sadly, that's just too low. I know the engine and other mechanical components are stored in the back, so we have been wondering about all things that have to do with our water/grey tank placement.

We know to look for busses in states not near our own (WI) due to rust and the likes. We have been blown away by some of the amazing prices of busses that seem extremely well maintained on the govsurplus website.

We want to keep our build as cheap as possible. I remodel homes for a living so I have most of the basic knowledge needed to do a lot of the construction. Any ways to save costs that you've learned would be immensely helpful! We have a small family to feed!

The big "one" we are having a hard time finding answers to easily, is where we can park our bus while we work on it. We live in the city, in an apartment. I have friends in the country, but would like to find maybe an affordable option in the city, because that's mostly where I will work on it.

Any and all advice welcome! Glad to be joining the community and am very eager to learn as much as possible before we make the leap and buy the bus this spring! Thanks!!!

YstadClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome aboard!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #3

Thanks! We are extremely excited.
YstadClan is offline   Reply With Quote