Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Cheers from Long Island NY

Hey all, I’m from Long Island, NY and ready to purchase a short skoolie to convert into a travel vehicle. Not going to be living in this full-time however will likely take some lengthy trips in her so I do wanna install the bathroom. Want a good size for myself, my wife, and one-year-old daughter to be comfortable and have a great trip. I know there’s a few different sized short buses out there really looking for input on what body style I should be looking for. Additionally if there’s anywhere in the New York area where I should start my search for the purchase.

Thanks all, cheers!

Framus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site Framus.

There are many "short" bus types made. Some are based on a full sized van, while others are full sized commercial truck chassis based. You'll also have to decide if you want gas or diesel power.

What will work for you and your family will take time to figure out, based on what exactly you want in it and how small of a space can the 3 of you handle?

My first and foremost suggestion is to look beyond the "Rust Belt" for your bus, unless you are not scared of a rusty "base" to start your project.
Having said that, there is/was a bus company somewhere in NY that was liquidating many of their newer busses, (due to covid). You might get lucky if you find a 2 or 3 year old non rusty bus to convert.

Good luck, and post pics if you go ahead with a buy...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the tips, Pete. Will certainly post pics of the bus when we find out. If you have any insight as to the name of that bus company who is having that “Covid Liquidation” sale please pass the info along. Haha
Old 10-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Former Queens NY'er here. Wife is from Mineola. We moved to Phoenix 20 years ago and never looked back. Just recently we decided to get a long bus to convert since we have space on our property. Don't rule out looking out of state. If you happen to find your bus somewhere out this way and need a place to rest before heading back, let me know. Do your research and stay away from certain engines and transmissions.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you so much for getting back, and the gracious offer. What certain engines/transmissions do you speak of that I should avoid? I’m going to check out a 2007 Ford Super Duty E-450 diesel.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
From my understanding the ford 6.0 and 6.4 were problematic engines. Not sure which years but I think you might be in that year range.