Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

College student looking for adventure bus

Hi, I am new here, and new to the schoolie world.

I want to buy a short bus that can mostly fit in a regular parking space.

I live in upstate/Western NY and go to college in CT.

Me and my friends like to take lots of weekend trips places as we go to a realatively small college.

I would like to get a bus, take out the back row or 2, and put down some mattresses. Just a simple safe, comfortable, and dry place to sleep, and a mode of transporting around 8 people.

Any thoughts on where to look for buying a bus, and what to look for when buying?

spwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Post that question in the search bar, there are several active threads on the subject. Start reading and searching this site and you will find what you're looking for. Keep in mind that without insulating and adding some sort of AC, your bus will be an oven set at 350 about 15 minutes after the sun rises. I stayed in my brothers van for a couple weeks when I moved back to Calif.in the 70's, I can't tell you how unbearable that box was after the sun rose, never got to sleep in.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Post that question in the search bar, there are several active threads on the subject. Start reading and searching this site and you will find what you're looking for. Keep in mind that without insulating and adding some sort of AC, your bus will be an oven set at 350 about 15 minutes after the sun rises. I stayed in my brothers van for a couple weeks when I moved back to Calif.in the 70's, I can't tell you how unbearable that box was after the sun rose, never got to sleep in.
I don't think the heat should be too much of an issue. I wont be using it much in the middle of summer, and CT/NY are no CA in terms of heat.

Thanks, I always forget about search bars. Those can be helpful.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I would find a bus in the southern states and avoid rust. Welcome!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwath View Post
I don't think the heat should be too much of an issue. I wont be using it much in the middle of summer, and CT/NY are no CA in terms of heat.

Thanks, I always forget about search bars. Those can be helpful.
Ct. is my home state, you don't have to remind me of how brutally hot and cold it gets there. The temp extremes are why I left the state.
Whatever you get, put it in the sun for an hour and then decide what you want to do. Better yet find someone with a bus like you want and see if they'll let you sit in it for an hour. :big grin:

Put "Places to purchase a bus" in the search bar and you'll find current threads wit the lists of the places that have tons of buses right now.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
I would find a bus in the southern states and avoid rust. Welcome!
That would be a good idea, but the southern states are a pretty long drive away from NY and CT. Not sure it would be worth the multi-day trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Ct. is my home state, you don't have to remind me of how brutally hot and cold it gets there. The temp extremes are why I left the state.
Whatever you get, put it in the sun for an hour and then decide what you want to do. Better yet find someone with a bus like you want and see if they'll let you sit in it for an hour. :big grin:

Put "Places to purchase a bus" in the search bar and you'll find current threads wit the lists of the places that have tons of buses right now.
IDK, compared to NY, CT doesn't get that cold. Plus it was never that hot when I was there, during the college school year. Anyway, I guess the sun could be an issue. Ill have to see, but that will be an issue for later. Step 1 is to get a bus. Actually, step 1 is to save enough money to get a bus. Step 2 is get a bus. Step 3 is worry about the heat.
I just searched, I see lots of places. Ill do some more looking around.