Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

Couple from Canada saying hi!

Hello, we are a couple from Ontario Canada that have taken great interest in converting a bus in to a full time four season RV home. We look forward to picking your brains on the subject and learning new things as we go. We both have a particular set of skills that will aid in this build. I am very handy with design software as well as a fabricator and welder. I was an Aviation systems technician while serving in the Air Force from 2007-2012. I am also very good with electronics and fairly ok with woodwork. The Mrs. is great with tools, interior design, painting, sewing, etc and being an overall supportive sweetheart!

We came across these projects while watching YouTube and we immediately fell in love! Not wanting to live the rush of the "norm" with insane 9-5 jobs that we hate, we decided that for now this is a very viable option for a temporary home as we both develop new career paths and figure out where we want to head in life. We also want to travel Canada, the USA and South America, meet with likeminded people and make great friends along the way.

Right now the first step of our adventure is to save up for and find a bus. Money is a bit tight for us right now and these busses seem a bit pricey here in Ontario, so any suggestions are welcome. We won't rule out shopping around in the states. We have been slowly taking notes and deciding exactly what we need and want on our bus. So we look forward to our stay here and hope to be investing in to a great project as soon as we can.

LoversAnarchy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of knowledge on here and tons of stuff you can find using the "search" feature (I just used it last night to figure out how to turn off an alarming buzzer!). Looking forward to seeing your build!
Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
Living full-time in my Skoolie.
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Howdy back at ya from near Trenton, Bugtustle, to be exact.
If ever one should become afflicted with anything, let it be Skoolie Fever!"
Your lives will never be the same. You can become independent in an uncertain economy. Not a bad place to be in life.
Good luck.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Welcome to Skoolie.net from Northern British Columbia

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #5

Thanks for all the kind replies guys! I'm near the London area so if any of you are ever passing through then definitely give me a shout on here. I would be more than happy to meet you for a coffee and talk bus stuff. You're definitely right about being able to get away and still have a place to live with the uncertainty of the economy. Its sort of another reason we want to do this.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.0L v8 IHC
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Sounds like you guys are off to a great start. Just having a vision of a dream is enough to get you started on this journey. We were in your same spot close to year and a half ago. After plenty of planning, hard work and sweat, we are 2 or three months away from completion of our bus. YOU can do it!
theradiumdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
welcome, we are in northwestern Ontario , look at buying a bus from a school board, it might cost a bit more, but you get one with a Ontario safety check, and regular inspections, that way you have a good bus to start with.
gbstewart
Old 03-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Welcome to the fray err forum.
Before shopping in the states you might want to get with Transport Canada(?) and find out what buses can be imported.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #9

Thank you for all the advice and support so far. We will have a long road ahead of us and are thankful to have found a great forum full of supportive great people ~the mrs.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoversAnarchy83 View Post
Thank you for all the advice and support so far. We will have a long road ahead of us and are thankful to have found a great forum full of supportive great people ~the mrs.
find out about what you need for your insurance, this is one of the hardest steps
gbstewart