Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2024, 07:12 PM   #1

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Crown Coach Corp.
Chassis: A-743-11
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 41 passenger
CROWN Batteries?

Hello all!
New to the forum and Crowns!
Recently aquire a 1971 Crown, very clean and dry. Unfortunately it has no batteries and I cannot seem to find to information on 12v or 24v batteries. Actually hard to find any information at all. I know it's the Cummins 220 engine and a Fuller 10 spd. I have drive otr for around 25 yrs. So I'm not new to trucks. Any help, pdfs or hard copies for sale or share?

Sharkbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:22 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Your Crown should take two 8D batteries. To my knowledge should run on 12 volts. Years ago I parted out a 1973 Crown and that is what it had. It also had a Cummins 220.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:35 PM   #3

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Crown Coach Corp.
Chassis: A-743-11
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 41 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
Your Crown should take two 8D batteries. To my knowledge should run on 12 volts. Years ago I parted out a 1973 Crown and that is what it had. It also had a Cummins 220.
That's definitely helpful, I measured the tray and it was 7"×20ish for two batteries. Thx again.
Sharkbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:18 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Hi neighbor! Nice to see another MT Crown.

Get on the Crown Coach Enthusiasts group on Facebook. There's a "files" tab in that group where you can download electrical schematics, driver's handbooks, and other goodies.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 02:24 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Here is a picture of the batteries in the "new" crown. The "old" Crown has the same setup.
Attached Thumbnails
crown battery trays.jpg  
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 03:21 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
What they both said. Two 8D 12v batteries wired in Parallel so you get twice the current surge at start up. Look for the highest Cold Cranking Amps rating on the batteries. Commonly 1150 CCA but with some looking around you can find 1300 CCA too. Any decent battery place that sells heavy duty truck and bus batteries should easily be able to get you what you need. Don't be afraid to get a properly rebuilt battery either. If done correctly they can be as good as brand new as long as they change the plates and posts etc and make sure the case isn't cracked etc. I always seek out rebuilt batteries and they are usually only about $100 or so each.

8D's need not be hard or expensive to find but do some research and make sure you don't get taken for a ride by retailers trying for the $300+ price range. Find a good battery place that offers re-manufactured batteries, and make friends, you're going to need him as time goes on.

If you don't drive your Crown at least monthly the batteries will die in about 3 months of sitting idle. Just a fact of life we all have to deal with. I make sure to drive mine at least 30 miles every month to get the engine up to temperature and keep a healthy charge on the batteries. Starting it without driving it 30 miles actually defeats the purpose and causes other problems. Remember that they need to be driven as much as you can afford to and the more you drive it the better it likes it and runs better and you end up with fewer trouble all the way around.

Congratulations on getting a right proper bus. Don't worry too much about what you don't know yet. You can always reach out to me or other Crown owners for help and once you get familiar with it and how it's over engineered and built you'll grow to love the simplicity and ease of maintaining it. Parts for the running gear are still readily available since Crown used off the shelf heavy duty truck parts that are still in use today. Very little proprietary parts other than the body panels and such which are unique to Crowns.

You didn't say whether the transmission is an overdrive or not. If it's not an OD I'm guessing the top road speed will be around 63mph at 2150 rpms as that was the standard for Crowns built for school districts. The Cummins will turn faster than 2200 since the engine and governor are completely different than the Detroit's which shut down hard at the governed speed setting. Cummins don't work the same at all. This means you can probably get around 65 or more but you'll still be turning the engine at 2300+ to get the road speed.

The Fuller Roadranger is available in a direct drive in tenth or .87 overdrive in tenth. The way to tell is in what position 5th and 10th gear are located. If they are both to the right and Down then it's a Direct 1:1 tenth gear setup. An Overdrive will have 5th and 10th to the right and UP.

If you really want to take advantage of the Crown on those wonderful wide open highways you should consider a rear-end ratio change from the common 4:11 in most Crowns to something along the lines of a 3.90 which will give an instant 12 mph increase in top speed. Believe me cruising along at 75mph in a Crown is a religious experience. Rear-end ratio bump and even changing the 10spd into an OD will make your Crown into a real King of the Road.

Keep in touch and contact me directly if you want to. You've also got some very good company up there in MT with another Crown owner, Tejon7, who can help you out and if close enough you two can get together and he can show you stuff in person. Welcome to the Crown Owners Club. You've taken your first steps into a larger Universe of coolness.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote