Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 04:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: TBA
Chassis: ShortBus/Shuttle
Engine: Vroom?
Rated Cap: BabyBus w/storageBays
CrownBirdie Sings Hello

Greetings Everyone,

I'm actually a very torn newbie RVer. I've gone from drooling over Class A's & C's to being pretty much sold on truck campers because of the major service hassles most other RV types have for not being well built in the 1st place, especially the new RVs being pushed out now. I also really love a truck camper's ability to go most anywhere, ease of parking, & the wondrous freedom of not having to tow a blessed thing. But I'm a gal who needs a lot of space, so only a large Lance, HOST, or Eagle Cap would do which requires at least an F-450/550/5500 to be completely steady without needing all the mods an F-350 truck has to get to carry such huge campers.

Yes, it's weird to some that I prefer truck campers to Class B's or vanmods but I just don't like the narrow corridor feeling of them. Strangely, the larger truck campers with slides feel more spacious & open to me, especially since the cab bunk over the truck roof frees up more living space. So there it is.

And, like everyone else, I'm trying to keep my costs down. Truck campers also seemed safer & easier to get serviced. But when considering my storage & safety issues, skoolies became a more real possibility, especially considering they are built like tanks compared to most other RVs & certainly more affordable than Super Cs.

I didn't think of buses at first because I assumed they were all super long & even the Class A's I was looking at were well under 35 feet. Which is why short buses & shuttles are so attractive as more maneuverable RoamHomes. Sacrificing parking flexibility for more room & storage seems a good tradeoff.

This may be a pricier unicorn, but I'm ideally looking for a shorter shuttle / trip bus with exterior bays. A 6-7 window under 33' would be ideal.

Sure wish there were as many skoolie outfitters & bus remod businesses out there as there are for vans...does anybody have a fave?

Thanks for listening,
CrownBirdie

CrownBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownBirdie View Post
Greetings Everyone,

Sure wish there were as many skoolie outfitters & bus remod businesses out there as there are for vans...does anybody have a fave?

Thanks for listening,
CrownBirdie
Just don't use Lone Star Skoolie Conversions in Texas! Promise?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

You have my word on it, John. I hope the Iceni & Picts gave the Romans a few good kicks before sending them off! Saying hello from the Celtic/Gaelic contingent from the PNW. We are everywhere!
Old 01-20-2022, 08:18 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Greetings Everyone,

This may be a pricier unicorn, but I'm ideally looking for a shorter shuttle / trip bus with exterior bays. A 6-7 window under 33' would be ideal.

CrownBirdie
I have what I think is a less than common shuttle, a 6 window rig. Comes in at 25'-6", with 16' clear behind the driver. Longer shuttles are rarer, from what I've seen.

There's some room underneath for exterior bays.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:32 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
You have my word on it, John. I hope the Iceni & Picts gave the Romans a few good kicks before sending them off! Saying hello from the Celtic/Gaelic contingent from the PNW. We are everywhere!
I wanted to call my bus Boudicca, but my GF (now ex-GF) wanted to call it The Mistress because she said I spent more time with her than with her. I suppose I can now finally call it Boudicca.

PM me if you like, so we can talk about matters Celtic!

John, from the land of the Iceni
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hello Rucker - Bus Nut from Sac Town - probably the best place to score any sort of RV in the Bay Area. Sounds like you really scored! Do you have pics of it anywhere or are you still working on it?

I figure I'm going to need to find the graveyards where the good tourist buses/shuttles go to die...feel like I have to do this out of state to save the most $.