Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2022, 06:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Day 1 DONE. and waaay in over my head.

So, i finally got my title in hand after weeks and got a 10 day temp tag slapped on, and drove up the road a ways. And called it quits at dusk. My lights dont work. I have a random alarm going off somewhere secret. I have a storage compartment that may or may not have a body in it, cause the lock is broken. $200 barely got me to half a tank. The door wont stay shut going down the road. Top speed is... not a lot.... It's about awful as anything. Im in love. Superior debilitating ADHD and stress and anxiety amd depression mean I usually just exist and never finish anything or start anything or find something to do that i enjoy, but now I linda wanna write. Anywhere on this site I can cultivate a blog, maybe some avid fans, intrepid cult followers, sagely wisdom from experienced individuals?

BeachBumBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Beach bum bus

Blog?

Yea. Come back every day and tell us what you did today.

Go find the thread by “Tango”

That will give wan idea.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Welcome aboard, It is a strangely alluring passion isn't it?

If you want a blog of sorts, you can start a build thread in this forum. Others can chime in as you go along.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/

You can add the details of your bus to your profile (under User CP) and that'll help us with pointing in the right direction for fixing things.

For your alarm issue, check around the emergency exits, open and close them. There's usually a buzzer in a compartment near the driver's area (maybe outside the bus) and it's probably going off because an emergency exit is not showing as latched. It could be simply not closed correctly, or the switch could be faulty. Many people remove this system, but it requires caution as it can be interlocked into your starter circuit in a way that removing the wires causes the bus to not start.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:23 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Blog?

Yea. Come back every day and tell us what you did today.

Go find the thread by “Tango”

That will give wan idea.

William

man the craftsmanship that went into that bus (tango)..... I saw it in person and it was pure beauty.. sad thing is its maiden voyage was within reach when all went wrong...

*BUT* also a testament as to why i drive mine all over the place even though not a one of them is finished... I mean really theres always something to work on.. but get out and enjoy the bus.. whatever it is.. a cruise downtown, an air mattress oin the floor by a lake or in a woods.. or heck for me even a ride to starbucks.. tomorrow isnt guaranteed..

being overwhelmed by a bus isnt anything new but really enjoy the bus.. so the door doesnt stay closed or the side panel.. lean and fix.. and then go cruise..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:18 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumBus View Post
So, i finally got my title in hand after weeks and got a 10 day temp tag slapped on, and drove up the road a ways. And called it quits at dusk. My lights dont work. I have a random alarm going off somewhere secret. I have a storage compartment that may or may not have a body in it, cause the lock is broken. $200 barely got me to half a tank. The door wont stay shut going down the road. Top speed is... not a lot.... It's about awful as anything. Im in love. Superior debilitating ADHD and stress and anxiety amd depression mean I usually just exist and never finish anything or start anything or find something to do that i enjoy, but now I linda wanna write. Anywhere on this site I can cultivate a blog, maybe some avid fans, intrepid cult followers, sagely wisdom from experienced individuals?

I about fell off my barstool after reading everything that wasn't going right then hitting "I'm in love"

It's a strange passion, indeed. If you have an air-powered door there is probably a regulator knob in the compartment right above the door, crank it up to max. My internationals all defaulted to 40PSI which is not enough to keep a door closed at highway speeds. 60PSI works much better

For blogging, start a build thread on here. Post lots of pics.... the good, the bad, the "I'm about to set this thing on fire if I don't walk away for an hour"
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/

Good luck, I look forward to watching the build!

PS - edit your profile info so your bus "stats" appear under your name
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:01 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
"Overwhelmed" is the theme here. Welcome to the fray. I'm going to tie down everything and go for a long drive this weekend (with cash and CC's) just to get out like Christopher said. I really like driving my 40' bus although it can be a bit 'puckering' in traffic. It's 60 miles to the beach on a nice 4 lane desert highway
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
If it don't make you feel like this the first drive, it will only build your confidence to let you down later. Relax,take a breath,and start with the little things. We are all feeling the diesel prices right now. I have been buying at Costco about .60 cheaper though. But welcome to the board,take your time,and enjoy your crazy new adventures.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:09 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
I'll ad my 2 cents on being over whelmed/over your head.
Converting a bus is a huge undertaking...cut the job down to bite sized pieces.
Lots of little victories will help keep you focused and moving forward.
So good luck, persevere and keep us posted!
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
I'll ad my 2 cents on being over whelmed/over your head.
Converting a bus is a huge undertaking...cut the job down to bite sized pieces.
Lots of little victories will help keep you focused and moving forward.
So good luck, persevere and keep us posted!
I second this!! Overwhelmed yes. Bite sized pieces, yes. I just found mice in my bus, it’s amazing how much damage those little guys can do. There’s always something going on so enjoy the journey!
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:34 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
"Overwhelmed" is the theme here. Welcome to the fray. I'm going to tie down everything and go for a long drive this weekend (with cash and CC's) just to get out like Christopher said. I really like driving my 40' bus although it can be a bit 'puckering' in traffic. It's 60 miles to the beach on a nice 4 lane desert highway
Just wondering, which beach is 60 miles from Long Beach on a desert highway?! Bombay Beach, maybe? (Yes, I've been there. No, I don't ever want to go there again! It smells of rotting fish.)

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:06 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Just wondering, which beach is 60 miles from Long Beach on a desert highway?! Bombay Beach, maybe? (Yes, I've been there. No, I don't ever want to go there again! It smells of rotting fish.)

John

Those were my thoughts exactly. Good catch John.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote