Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Dispose of Bus Hull

Hi All,

I've been a bus owner for about 1.5 years now. I haven't done much except upgrade the transmission and add a class v hitch. My engine runs fine but is getting tired with over 19K hours and 286K miles...

I see a donor bus at auction close to me. I'm thinking of buying it for spare parts. My question is: How difficult is it to get rid of the hull once I pull what I want off of it? I would leave the axles and tires on so that it rolls. Would a salvage yard come get it? Recycling place?

Does anyone have experience disposing of all that metal? I'm in East TN.

Thanks!

Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
If you include the engine and transmission they might. Last buses we retired a year ago were scrapped for 1000 bucks a piece IIRC. They pandered around about it due to all of the glass and seat foam being in it, but they did eventually take it. Without the engine and trans though, and them having to pick it up, they'll likely give you very little for it, and might possibly charge you for removal.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdude0075 View Post
Hi All,

I've been a bus owner for about 1.5 years now. I haven't done much except upgrade the transmission and add a class v hitch. My engine runs fine but is getting tired with over 19K hours and 286K miles...

I see a donor bus at auction close to me. I'm thinking of buying it for spare parts. My question is: How difficult is it to get rid of the hull once I pull what I want off of it? I would leave the axles and tires on so that it rolls. Would a salvage yard come get it? Recycling place?

Does anyone have experience disposing of all that metal? I'm in East TN.

Thanks!
You can try taking it to a "junk yard" for dismantling OR send it to a scrap recycling center. They will take anything but...don't expect to make a whole lot. They will pay you based on weight.

Besides the engine and trans, I would also peel of the roof skin. Sheet metal has gotten quite expensive !
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Years ago I bought a 1973 Crown for parts. After saving the engine, trans, tires, wheels, inside sheet metal, etc I had it towed to a scrap yard. It cost me $250 for the tow (where I parted it out was close to scrap yard). I got a little over $200 for the scrap and they made me take the same number of tires the bus had from their collection. I took the tires to a tire shop and paid them to recycle them. There was only two tires left on the bus for the tow.
I stayed and watched the scrap yard dismantling the bus body. After 30 minutes of going at it with two large claw machines they only got the roof off.

Before anyone gives me grief over scrapping a Crown, it was really ready for the scrap yard. The parts removed and re-sold kept another Crown on the road, and enhanced my good "old Crown" with better tires and provided a hatch cover. I needed.

One big requirement needs to be met to scrap a bus - THE TITLE! No title and most scrapyards will not take it.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:06 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
I found a place that will take it nearby. Pays $6.50 per 100 lbs. thanks everyone!
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disposal, recycling, salvage