Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

DIY towing a large bus

Hello everyone,

Glad to finally join the ranks here! I had a large Schoolbus about 20 years ago that I bought on ebay for 800$. It lasted only a few days before I blew a main bearing and had to sell it to a mechanic for a ride to the airport then got a 1500$ Shortbus on craigslist about 6 years later that had piston compression leaking into the cooling system which was making me sick and I had a mechanic try fixing it after pouring more money into it then I paid I abandoned it to him. Now I just bought an all American bluebird 2007 with 8.3 commons and Allison electronic 6 speed at the punta gorda Copart auction for 3500$ Salvage title out the door but once again the cost to fix a bad transmission, and a few other things would be more then the bus I found out. So while I was looking for a parts bus I actually found a almost ready to go bluebird all American that only needs some fuel lines replaced at best or maybe a fuel pump to run. My second blue bird was only 2000$ Clean title out the door. So now I need to set up a flat tow system to tow one heavy bus with another because my free towing good sam roadside membership will probably not pay 1200$ to tow her (2 miles) for me too many more times. Any ideas? I saw a few heavy duty military surplus tow bars on ebay that can handle 39000lbs but what kind of tow hitch should I get? Ideas? Pics? Am I crazy? I heard that I can tie the air brakes from the mule to the back bus to assist breaking.

Btw I知 going to register in vermont as a motorhome. And needless to say my more expensive bus will become my parts bus oops. Also I知 buying rural land at suburban estates near orlando to keep my parts bus at.

Cheers and looking forward to getting to know more of you! Christian is my name
Attached Thumbnails
A0760083-1623-4515-AD39-07DA53D72B9B.jpeg   1FF4D0CF-1171-47BA-8D8D-AB6415D7EBC2.jpg  

Trybabytri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Here's a description of what we've done, which would probably apply to your plan...hope it helps:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/f...ead-35883.html
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Ross, awesome post. Thanks that helps. I’m curious what you searched for to find other threads like ours? I couldn’t find any including yours.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trybabytri View Post
Hi Ross, awesome post. Thanks that helps. I知 curious what you searched for to find other threads like ours? I couldn稚 find any including yours.
Haha! I cheated, because the search function truly isn't very helpful sometimes. I remember that I had mentioned the "Brake Buddy Vantage" so I searched those words and found it. What, you mean you didn't search for "Brake Buddy Vantage?"
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
After seeing the story on the bus accident I wonder if that rear axle will allow it to be flat towed. Story includes video of the accident. https://thelehighacresgazette.com/ne...inor-injuries/.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Wow you’re good! Yes the drive shaft and rear pinion were broken and one of the u bolts was broken along with its corresponding axle bracket and the axle itself was knocked off of its spring guide nub. I plan on jacking the chassis up then jacking the axle up and sliding it back in place with a come along then replacing the broken parts before I tow it. I also drove out to the school that wrecked the bus and talked to the driver involved. He said it’s a great bus but the transmission housing was cracked so that’s why I made it into my parts bus. I’m having a great time anyways this is fun,
Old 07-21-2021, 09:34 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I知 curious how hard it would be to replace the broken pinion. Hopefully i just unbolt the old one and new one just bolts on. By the way I have a blue bird all American parts bus if anyone needs parts. It痴 got a cat c7 engine.
Attached Thumbnails
1CF4D705-EF45-422F-B1FA-33416F2CD02F.jpg   00E948E5-1B8D-44A2-ACF2-682003F0F3F6.jpg  
Old 07-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: thomas freightliner dog nose
Engine: cat c-7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trybabytri View Post
Hello everyone,

Glad to finally join the ranks here! I had a large Schoolbus about 20 years ago that I bought on ebay for 800$. It lasted only a few days before I blew a main bearing and had to sell it to a mechanic for a ride to the airport then got a 1500$ Shortbus on craigslist about 6 years later that had piston compression leaking into the cooling system which was making me sick and I had a mechanic try fixing it after pouring more money into it then I paid I abandoned it to him. Now I just bought an all American bluebird 2007 with 8.3 commons and Allison electronic 6 speed at the punta gorda Copart auction for 3500$ Salvage title out the door but once again the cost to fix a bad transmission, and a few other things would be more then the bus I found out. So while I was looking for a parts bus I actually found a almost ready to go bluebird all American that only needs some fuel lines replaced at best or maybe a fuel pump to run. My second blue bird was only 2000$ Clean title out the door. So now I need to set up a flat tow system to tow one heavy bus with another because my free towing good sam roadside membership will probably not pay 1200$ to tow her (2 miles) for me too many more times. Any ideas? I saw a few heavy duty military surplus tow bars on ebay that can handle 39000lbs but what kind of tow hitch should I get? Ideas? Pics? Am I crazy? I heard that I can tie the air brakes from the mule to the back bus to assist breaking.

Btw I知 going to register in vermont as a motorhome. And needless to say my more expensive bus will become my parts bus oops. Also I知 buying rural land at suburban estates near orlando to keep my parts bus at.

Cheers and looking forward to getting to know more of you! Christian is my name
wow i bought property a year ago in holopaw im 10 minutes away from suburban estates i live in NJ right now and just bought a school bus to move out there end of this year. i am going to try and start a towing business. I will be working on my bus very soon.
richie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:59 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie23 View Post
..just bought a school bus to move out there end of this year. i am going to try and start a towing business.
Ha! So going to convert the bus into a wrecker? The Gambler guy didn't like that idea. Live in it and use it to as business towing/transporting could be great way to go. It's a profitable business, can work when you want.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie23 View Post
wow i bought property a year ago in holopaw im 10 minutes away from suburban estates i live in NJ right now and just bought a school bus to move out there end of this year. i am going to try and start a towing business. I will be working on my bus very soon.
That痴 amazing what a coincidence. Look me up when you get down to florida would love to see your bus and share resources! Any idea when you値l be down here?
Old 08-02-2021, 03:38 AM   #11
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
TowING a bus

I can't imagine it would cost anywhere near 1200 to tow a bus 2 miles unless you are a few hours away from the nearest city with a tow truck. Here in sacramento the heaviest semi wheel lift wrecker charges 250 an hour. If your pinion is broken you would save money by removing the axles ahead of time and cage the spring brakes to allow it to roll and not turn the differential. Make sure to have it properly chocked. You will need hub covers to stop the oil from leaking out. Please don't try to flat tow it. There is no quick safe way to tie into the brake system, turning will be difficult with all wheels on the ground. If you get seen by commercial officer doing that it will not end well. A tow truck will save a lot of time and be safer.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:33 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Ha! So going to convert the bus into a wrecker? The Gambler guy didn't like that idea. Live in it and use it to as business towing/transporting could be great way to go. It's a profitable business, can work when you want.

Actually I did like the idea... however the cost of a roll back bed was nearly 5x what I paid for the bus. Not worth it.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

It’s all about the 2 hour minimum. 600$/hr ouch. I’m looking at getting a break buddy vantage to do the remote braking for me but if I get into a pinch I might have a friend sit in it and break when he sees my break lights.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #14
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Towing and transport cab be a profitable business but not one where you can work when you want. When someone needs a tow it usually is right now because they are broken down and need to get it moved now. If you only work when you want you won't get a good reputation and no repeat business. Transport on the other hand lends itself more to planning and putting together jobs that work well with each other. Several vehicles going the same way at the same time over longer distances. Either way a bus would not work as a tow platform but it could work well as a mobile office and living space.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing flat tow diy heavy