Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2024, 11:06 PM   #1

Don't start a conversion during FL summer

Proud new owner of Thomas saf-t-liner Hdx, motor is mb906. I started my conversion last week. Summers in Fl are not the best time to start a conversion. Bus drove great with no problems 933 mile towing my car from Tennesse to Florida.

BobGarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 06:58 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGarr View Post
Proud new owner of Thomas saf-t-liner Hdx, motor is mb906. I started my conversion last week. Summers in Fl are not the best time to start a conversion. Bus drove great with no problems 933 mile towing my car from Tennesse to Florida.

ha!! yeah I remember picking up my DEV bus in tampa in late may during a heat wave.. then drove it to ohio ... Sweating like crazy...

2016-2017 was a HOT summer in my are where I live.. that trip did give me the drive to get the first round of road A/C installed.. I worked at night alot to get my Mobile office setup built.. used a portable A/C with the tubes stuck in a bus window...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 08:25 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I wander outside about 6pm and work until 11 or so. The sun is a scorcher..I finally have A/C on the inside. I am going to build my cabinets at my brothers shop 2 hours away, but I haven't reinstalled my driving air conditioning yet, so still not fully mobile yet..
I think I'm more of a weenie now. The first summer, I had no problem working and welding outside in the heat, but now I skip it.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 08:30 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Im dreading the Texas heat too!
Finally got sheet metal to skin the bus and the heat here is killer !
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:49 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Shade, Tint & 120v AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGarr View Post
‐-------------------

Hey Bob! Welcome to Skoolie.net.

We are in central Florida. I'm an avid outdoorsman, semi-retired Electrician & small farm owner. My lifestyle has afforded me the opportunity to spend most of my days enjoying all aspects of Florida's weather.

As Fo4imtippin mentioned above, we too, reserve our mornings & evenings for more strenuous labor. Try to avoid mid-day heat and direct sunlight, in general.

The exterior steel can collect the solar radiation, the hot metal conducts through, like an oven. Leave the ceiling insulation up, until you must remove it.

Park your rig somewhere in the afternoon shade.

(Note the fire hydrant)

Use a large dedicated exhaust fan and open the hatches & windows

Add a temporary 120v window unit or rooftop AC, right away. Stay cool while you demo, frame & build. Meanwhile visitors will appreciate a cool space for x-tivities.

Before we completed the demo, we converted a hatch to a 120v rooftop AC.

Your mate will likely reward you, more details here: Convert Hatch to AC

Window tint, blackout film & sealing air gaps is time well spent. You'll never notice the small expense, but you WILL absolutely realise the AC retention.

Windshield tint & shade, too

(Half and half comparison, above)
Greenfilm (manufacturer) claims it blocks 38% of IR heat, 84% of UV rays, and tinted 50% light.
I can, absolutely feel the difference. Plus, it's non-adhesive so it peels off without a razor, saving time if Jonny Law disapproves.🤷

This is the most important window to (solar)shield. DIY - Insulated curtain shown below.

Add more curtains for more gains. Be forewarned, additional privacy may boost adult activities.

Seal air gaps. We added two feet of 1-1/2" diameter, "closed-cell backer rod" above each window. Combined, we had sixty feet of convection leaks

(Sample section to demonstrate the void, note the daylight above the next window)

Windows removed, before & after adding the backer rod

Toss $100 bucks toward a water hose, a kiddo pool & a rope swing. It'll bring you joy and keep you cool. I try to be the coolest Papa I can be.

Add a picnic table & a swing. Make space to chillax, use the table for projects too. Keep cold drinks in small fridge or cooler

😎 Be Cool
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 07:12 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post

there's Hot and then there's TEXAS HOT!. had my DEV bus down in houstion in august 4 years ago... 7 window bus, 100,000 BTU of A/C and the best it could do was 74 inside after driving 30 minutes.. first time the engine fan ran continuous in that bus but the engine never got above 200...
Old 06-21-2024, 03:02 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: IC / Navistar
Chassis: Flatnose RE
Engine: 7.6L International
Rated Cap: 17 Tons
🥵Chillin' Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
‐-------------------

Hey Bob! Welcome to Skoolie.net.

We are in central Florida. I'm an avid outdoorsman, semi-retired Electrician & small farm owner. My lifestyle has afforded me the opportunity to spend most of my days enjoying all aspects of Florida's weather.

As Fo4imtippin mentioned above, we too, reserve our mornings & evenings for more strenuous labor. Try to avoid mid-day heat and direct sunlight, in general.

The exterior steel can collect the solar radiation, the hot metal conducts through, like an oven. Leave the ceiling insulation up, until you must remove it.

Park your rig somewhere in the afternoon shade.

(Note the fire hydrant)

Use a large dedicated exhaust fan and open the hatches & windows

Add a temporary 120v window unit or rooftop AC, right away. Stay cool while you demo, frame & build. Meanwhile visitors will appreciate a cool space for x-tivities.

Before we completed the demo, we converted a hatch to a 120v rooftop AC.

Your mate will likely reward you, more details here: Convert Hatch to AC

Window tint, blackout film & sealing air gaps is time well spent. You'll never notice the small expense, but you WILL absolutely realise the AC retention.

Windshield tint & shade, too

(Half and half comparison, above)
Greenfilm (manufacturer) claims it blocks 38% of IR heat, 84% of UV rays, and tinted 50% light.
I can, absolutely feel the difference. Plus, it's non-adhesive so it peels off without a razor, saving time if Jonny Law disapproves.🤷

This is the most important window to (solar)shield. DIY - Insulated curtain shown below.

Add more curtains for more gains. Be forewarned, additional privacy may boost adult activities.

Seal air gaps. We added two feet of 1-1/2" diameter, "closed-cell backer rod" above each window. Combined, we had sixty feet of convection leaks

(Sample section to demonstrate the void, note the daylight above the next window)

Windows removed, before & after adding the backer rod

Toss $100 bucks toward a water hose, a kiddo pool & a rope swing. It'll bring you joy and keep you cool. I try to be the coolest Papa I can be.

Add a picnic table & a swing. Make space to chillax, use the table for projects too. Keep cold drinks in small fridge or cooler

😎 Be Cool

Don't let Papa take all of the credit, BobGarr. Gigi (Me) removed, resealed, replaced and tinted all 30 of the windows shown in his post above. I'm in my 50's so it's old lady work, if you're feeling weak or whimpy.

We found the pool & rope swing on sale at Aldi's, paid less than $50 for the pair! Papa inflates the pool with a wet-vac. For the rope swing, he used a bus seatbelt around the tree limb.

Ice Cold Watermelon 🍉 & 😃 Smiles Provided by Gigi. (Me)
-TC- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 12:03 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
They tell us up here in Illinois, we are about to experience the hottest summer on record. Has Texas also had that warning?
tguy1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:59 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Headlines are simply to alarm people and for others to use as clickbait to get clicks views and watches.

Now onto the science
The overall patterns for this season (march - sept) are for a hot year in the Midwest and Great Lakes. Thus far it’s panning put to rival the summers of 91,95,99.. 2011, 2012.. and will prob still beat 2020

Will it stand up to 1983? Not sure but this far the high temperature peaks have washed out the dewpoints more than in 83..

21,22,23 the Great Lakes region laregely spent in a cool dome this were very wet and very cool..

Here in central Ohio we have already had more heat advisory days in 24 (heat index over 100). Than we had on 21-23 combined.

Looking at days over 90f (which is generally where the human body goes from “it’s nice n hot” to “it’s too hot to work outside vigorously “. Using a dewpoint of 68, we are likely to have a bunch more in the coming July and august months.

Again I speak for Midwest and Great Lakes ..

Texas is always hot as is the south and southwest..

As for the headlines they are propaganda for the vroup that wishes to take the very bus you are building away from you .
And for the media to sell people on their clickbait to make them $$.

Learn to study weather patterns and learn to read the analog data from the metrology bureaus. You’ll learn that extreme heat and cold events are nothing new it’s just we can crowdsource people much easier now and our population is bigger and centered more around metro areas that due to buildings and concrete don’t cool off as much at night during dry years (more sun warming than on cloudy days) thus allowing for higher mean temperatures during a day..

So if you are doing your build in a city you are gonna be hotter than if you can source a space out in the country someplace with more trees..
Old 06-22-2024, 07:18 AM   #10
Skoolie

“ As for the headlines they are propaganda for the vroup that wishes to take the very bus you are building away from you . ”

What does that mean?
tguy1241 is offline   Reply With Quote