Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Dreaming in NC

I'm an architecture student at NC state and have had this persistent daydream of living in a skoolie for almost a year. I know it won't be the easiest thing to pull off but I'm hoping to meet some straight shooters in the Raleigh area that will help me figure out if I'm romanticizing the idea too much. I'm prepared to spend a lot of time and a fair amount of money on the project but wanted to see what people in the area were doing/ had figured out. I love the idea of taking all the money I'm throwing away at an apartment and making something of my own. I've done a bit of research but since I'm still in the dreaming phase it hasn't gone too deep. It seems like such a cool community and I'm hoping to find my way into it somehow.
Any time or thoughts are appreciated!
Michael

Mikey Makes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Welcome! I don't think there is anything wrong with your dreams, it'll just take time and money and effort and sweat and blood and.....

We bought our bus from these guys and are very happy with it.
https://www.completeautocredit.com/c...r=&PageSize=25

Even if you don't end up buying from them, it might be worth a visit to look at what he has and get familiar with them.

Generally stick with 2003 and older buses, but the rest of the configuration will depend a lot on what you plan to do with it.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
Bus Nut

One big challenge with school buses many people face is where to park them. Most populated areas it is very difficult to find places to park and especially live in them.

If you can find a good place to park you will probably love it. Building/fixing up a school bus is a great way to learn about all sorts of building skills. You are dealing with two different technologies(automotive and residential building) and merging them together. You will find yourself researching and learning about all sorts of stuff, very affordable and valuable education
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely have a lot to learn. I'm hoping to find something that allows me to focus on the residential building aspect and gives me some time in learning the automotive side. Here's hoping!
Mikey Makes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #5

That's exactly how I feel. I'm tired of paying $1000+ a month for apartments I can't even paint or hang pictures in. Plus, I'm big on crafting, which can get messy and for some reason apartments don't like that.
shae_calliekijakovu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:42 PM   #6

Hey there Mikey. I am just wondering if you are planning on living in the schoolie while still at NC State? I lived right off campus for a year and can't imagine finding an easy spot to park. I am thinking someone's driveway/yard would be the best option if you're going to stay close to State.
UnicornWizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina, raleigh