Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #1

Executing "Plan Bus"

Hello all,
I am out of the Army and done with College. My wife, two kids and I are about to commit to full time bus life. Hoping to be fully committed within about 6 months. I still have a house to sell and other loose ends like getting a bus and making it not a School bus, but overall optimistic and excited. Here for help and ideas to make this work out as well as this nightmare can.

Aaron

mcowenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:51 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcowenae View Post
Hello all,
I am out of the Army and done with College. My wife, two kids and I are about to commit to full time bus life. Hoping to be fully committed within about 6 months. I still have a house to sell and other loose ends like getting a bus and making it not a School bus, but overall optimistic and excited. Here for help and ideas to make this work out as well as this nightmare can.

Aaron
Welcome to the big truck life. Any chance you could keep your house to have a place to work on your new (future) bus?

One of the major problems with owning a schoolie is a place to work on it .
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:38 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcowenae View Post
Hello all,

Aaron
I second the reply from Rivotboy! Having a place to work on them is very important especially for those in the 40ft range.
Cartiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

RE: to both

I live out west,(the Rockies) my family and I are moving east. I will be an advance party to the east coast. I hate the cold and why not choose a warm place to be working outside in the winter so I will be doing most the work in Florida, at a dear friend's home with land(he is a master Electrician to boot). My wife and kids will remain in the house until the bus is livable. They are tough but no need to live in a bus until it is not a School Bus. Hoping to sell the house after the my wife does not live there to clarify. I have found two, that seem like good buses I would love thoughts, and input both are transit style and blue birds, early 2000's

Option 1 is a full 84 seat 40', it is a front engine style 5.9 cummins with Alison 3060
Issues are Electrical gremlins in the panel and gauges
good are it is less than 200K miles.

Option 2 is a 75 seat so less than 40' Rear Engine 8.3 cummins and Alison 3066
Issues are 300Kish miles and it is smaller.

What are everyones thoughts, I do not plan on driving a ton but I would like the power because I am hoping to Tow a minivan at least sometimes and would like to not be struggling if my journey takes me back west I do not want to struggle in the Rockies or the Cascades. I am leaning toward Option 2 pretty heavy.
Am I missing something?
My only reservation is the miles on #2 or is that not a concern I should have?

I would like the space, but the Gremlins combined with it being a FE and 5.9 have influenced my thoughts and opinion the most.

Am I totally of base? What are everyones thoughts?
mcowenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
My questions.

How many kids? Are you sure you all can live peacefully in a small environment?

If I had to go off of simply what you've listed, I'd choose #2.

However, you didn't list any prices for them. You also don't have any info on tires, brakes, general condition, or even the year of the busses. There is a big difference between the years on both of those engines. For instance, a new set of tires is worth a couple grand in itself. That's all stuff you have to factor in in order to determine final value. Even having records of regular maintenance will change it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Mcowenae,

Gauge issues are common on certain manufactures gauges/dash panels. A common fix is removing the panel and re-soldering the joints on the back of the panel. They are prone to cold solder joints.

Your decision between the two drive trains is tough. I love the 5.9. I have owned several but in a full size bus I held out for the 8.3. The 5.9 with the 3060 backing it up is not a bad choice. There are a handful here on the board and they seem to be happy with them.

My 8.3 will last longer, have more power and is cheaper to rebuild than a 5.9

Like the man said: "There is no replacement for displacement".

Hmmmm..... I wonder if I could stuff an 8.3 into my pickup????
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote