Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2022, 01:39 AM   #1

Fair price for 1991 with DT466

Looking to get a 1991, low miles under 100K, DT 466, Allison MT643, completely finished with solar and no mechanical issue. Nice build inside. How can I determine a fair price? Thanks

Skoollife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:32 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
SO many factors
1.) the value of the original bus, does it have any rust issue? tires? glass? body damage?
2.) quality and value of the major build components(solar, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3.) quality and value of the rest of the materials and craftsmanship, was it completely gutted and spray foamed? was everything in the shell sealed thoroughly? how was everything put together? is it high end materials or just basic plywood?

this is just a basic breakdown of how you would figure it out, it could range from $5k to over $100k really
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I wouldn't necessarily trust that "under 100k" statement. International/AmTran dash clusters are notoriously flaky and its very common for them to be swapped out. Our cluster on our 1996 was swapped out by the school district and the paperwork shows it had around 200k miles when the odometer showed much less.

That 466/643 drivetrain is a great combo though and I'm not trying to dissuade you with the talk of the dash cluster.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:37 AM   #4

Thanks. Buyer claims no rust but is located in the NE. It has a what seems to be a quality 48v solar system. Nicely constructed and finished counters and cabinets using reclaimed wood. Nature’s head toilet. No propane. Portable induction cooktop. 4 gal water heater. Only one heat source which is a wood stove. Klam driveline retarder. The insulation is a recycled commercially a ailanle denim material. Newer retread tires. It doesn’t appear cheaply done. Hard to get a true perspective from pictures. I would also need to travel across the country to look at and bring home. I appreciate the thoughtful responses. I am new at this.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:50 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We've got the Klam driveline retarder and IMO that's a huge bonus. It saves us from using our brakes on all hills and in town too (one caution if you buy a bus with a retarder: you'll risk toasting the transmission if you forget to turn it off after you're done on the hill). Ours is a Colorado bus, originally, and Klam retarders are common out there. This bus might be originally for CO or another Rocky Mountain state with low rust potential.

NH toilet is a really nice feature, as is 48v solar system. Wood stove is nice to have but not necessarily easy to heat with. A diesel air heater is cheap and simple to install if you really need heat.

Its hard to put a price on something like a skoolie, they vary so much in build quality and features. I'd look on FB marketplace to get an idea of current market price. What's he asking for it?
Old 08-12-2022, 01:36 PM   #6

Thanks for info. I think the KLAM was added after the purchase. Asking price $92,000. Seems high to me. I have seen others similar in the $50K range.
https://www.skoolielivin.com/classified/1991-bluebird-international-3800-for-sale-massachusetts/
Old 08-12-2022, 02:11 PM   #7

I think the KLAM was added later. They are asking $92,000. I feel that is high compared to similar ones I have see. In the $50K range.
https://www.skoolielivin.com/classif...massachusetts/
Old 08-13-2022, 11:59 PM   #8

They want $92,000. Seems steep
https://www.skoolielivin.com/classified/1991-bluebird-international-3800-for-sale-massachusetts/