Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2022, 11:47 PM   #1

Family of 5 with ‘95 Thomas mvp

Hey! A while back I posted a half ass intro, I don’t even think we owned our bus at the time, but now I’m already knee deep in a 20” raise. Here are a couple pictures.

I’m bursting with questions. I’m a little worried I’m going to get the whole grumpy “did you search the topics?” response… I did. But it’s often like searching for a needle etc. So I’m going to anyways:

I’ve finished all the structural welding for the raise, and I’m pre priming the skins this Sunday. My questions for the immediate future are: any preference on seam sealer? I’ve seen “automotive seam sealer” but I’d love to hear if there’s a preferred best choice, but I’ve also heard people use butyl tape? I’m riveting everything down.

Which brings me to the next one: stainless or aluminum rivets? I’ve heard of folks using both.

Lastly the primer I’m using is an epoxy base. I’m in the Pacific Northwest, and the bus is not indoors. We’ve had a dry summer and I’ve got about 2 more weeks of sunshine left. Should I haul ass and try to get our finish paint done now or will the primer hold through a wet winter?

Excited to be officially a part of this kickass community.

Cheers,
-Luke
Attached Thumbnails
906B6F87-C508-401E-B83F-3162969FD35B.jpg   6AA94318-022F-4D06-BDEF-E65608C67925.jpg  

Busfamilytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:04 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom 40'
Engine: DDECII 6V92T Allison MT647
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs of potential
Welcome Luke
Don't worry about some grumpy responses, there is usually still value in them.
Charging ahead into your ambitious roof raise is exciting isn't it? Trying to beat cold weather sure can be exciting.

While I don't yet have an opinion on either of your excellent questions, I will certainly be watching this thread for the (potentially grumpy) answers.

Good luck
Rich
Phantom5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Aluminum and steel don't play well together.
Galvanic Corrosion??
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
Aluminum and steel don't play well together.
Galvanic Corrosion??
I’m glad you said that. I had always understood that as only a problem between stainless and aluminum connections but I just did some due diligence and you are right. Thank you! I’ll be avoiding the aluminum
Old 10-15-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Rivets

For long term use

Aluminum rivets in aluminum structure

Stainless steel in stainless steel structures

If you are using “pop” rivets. Use galvanized steel in steel structures

Why? I will give you an example. 1972 Porsche 911. In 1976 someone used stainless steel rivets to attach fender flare. 30 years later there was a one inch diameter rust hole in the approximate location of each stainless steel rivet.

The stainless has higher electonegativity than the mild steel. So when corrosion started in. The area around each river was attacked a little more. Thirty years later….. big rust holes around each rivet
Seam sealers…. Sikkens. Or 3M. Are my choices. There are different kinds. I think 3M has extensive videos on you tube. Some are intended to be structural. All of the stuff I have used is epoxy based. Limited working time.

If you did not know. Some pop rivets are closed ended, water can’t go through the middle.
William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I never realized this about stainless fasteners in standard steel.. I tend to migrate toward stainless screws thinking if they get wet (like for my bus seats, dash panels,heater bioxes etc) they wont rust and give me fits like the original screws did.. sounds like the screws wont rust but all the metal around will!..

I used stainless sacrews to install all the exterior lights, mirrors, etc on my fully galvanized superior.. is that going to require me to replace all 100+ screws with something different?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:11 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Welcome to the board. Looks like all kinds of head room. Also good questions as I am learning from this. Keep us posted.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: NB18FD Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 18,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfamilytime View Post
Lastly the primer I’m using is an epoxy base. I’m in the Pacific Northwest, and the bus is not indoors. We’ve had a dry summer and I’ve got about 2 more weeks of sunshine left. Should I haul ass and try to get our finish paint done now or will the primer hold through a wet winter?
Being epoxy based you will be fine for the winter. Epoxy primer is a waterproof seal. It's not like a conventional primer that is not water sealed.
PhilipE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipE View Post
Being epoxy based you will be fine for the winter. Epoxy primer is a waterproof seal. It's not like a conventional primer that is not water sealed.
You just saved me all kinds of anxiety this week! Thank you for the input!
Old 10-16-2022, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles O Roads View Post
Welcome to the board. Looks like all kinds of head room. Also good questions as I am learning from this. Keep us posted.
Yeah I’m 6’5 and our oldest is looking like he’s got my height coming so we were liberal with the roof raise crouching in the shower didn’t sound fun