Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 08:42 AM   #1

Family of Newbies saying Hello!

Hi Everyone!

We are a family from Mass that just took the plunge last week and bought a 1977 MC 8 crusader that needs a lot of love, but we are so excited about all the possibilities. The roof has been raised a foot, and she is one beast of a bus but we have had an amazing time continuing and finishing the beginning cleaning/gutting stages, and we are ready to start some of our next steps.

With four children, and very little support from our immediate family, we have realized quickly that reaching out to a supportive community of like-minded people is going to be crucial for us.

We are starting from scratch in many ways, and currently I am trying to find used/salvage rv windows to install and I am having a difficult time finding somewhere close by. We would prefer to be able to go to a location and see the windows but if ordering them will be a better option that works too.

What resources did you all use for out sourcing windows? Are RV windows the best option or has anyone used any other creative methods?

Thank you for any insight!

Crusader_1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #2

I love that your whole family is involved and excitedly helping.

I lost favor points with my family when they saw my new bus purchase.

I heard the words " not only did you buy this monstrosity , but you had to bull doze the fence to get it in the yard?"

They are coming around now though lol.

Good luck with your project!
I wish I had advice, but I'm new too.
KaseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
You can find normal house windows basically free or almost free when people remodel.
In California they don't let you use even newer windows in a remodel cuz the inspectors need to see the data stickers to approve them, so I have a lot of almost new dual pane from my last house remodel. All the RV windows I've seen are single pane, but maybe newer RVs have dual pane I dunno.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
normal house windows are not suitable because they are not tempered like auto glass and the safety rating for auto use will probably get you a failed inspection.
minimum DOT standard RV glass
thats my opinion
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Don’t leave us dangling. What is a MC 8 Crusader???
We like pictures around here.

[emoji3522]
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Hello from southern NH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader_1977 View Post
What resources did you all use for out sourcing windows? Are RV windows the best option or has anyone used any other creative methods?
We sourced our RV windows from ebay. There are quite a few sellers parting out RVs that have a wide selection in terms of size and function.

We also used some cheap "shed windows" from Home Depot in our kitchen.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/k...tml#post273414

I think it was this one, we removed the nailing flange:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TAFCO-WI...24OP/100660072
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #7

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International
Awesome! So excited for your family!
TheBeehive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
normal house windows are not suitable because they are not tempered like auto glass and the safety rating for auto use will probably get you a failed inspection.
minimum DOT standard RV glass
thats my opinion
Good Point, thanks. I would add though that this makes sense for a bus where you have kids wandering around inside while driving. For a trailer that doesn't happen, so getting thrown into the glass in an accident would never happen.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #9

Thank you all so much for responding!!!! Feels so nice to connect with others of like mind-set! I wish I had the time to respond to each of you individually because just by leaving a comment you have made our day, so nice of you all to take the time to send us some love!

I feel like the past two weeks have been a WHIRL WIND with four kids, and this big beast of a project, we are totally consumed by tasks and trying to continue to enjoy the moment with our children. ( who by the way are 14, and then 3 kids 6 and under.)

As we keep going it seems like there is no amount of youtube binging that will fully prepare you to tackle your own personal bus, but it has been so nice to know that we have the bus and now it is just the work that we need to do.

@kazetsukai: We bought our bus from Manchester, NH! how have the winters been for you? Do you stay in NH? What heating method do you have? We have been trying to determine with all of our family in new england we know that we need to be able to survive winter weather and I would love to hear how you survive.

@ Meathead: I will upload images as soon as I have enough time! haha but we have come to realize that it is a 1977 mc-8 crusader masquerading as a 1990's MCI D4500? It seems as though when the roof raise was done they used the rear and front end of a 90's edition MCI D4500. When we upload photos im sure others will be able to give us their opinion on what has been done to our little old lady.

Again, Thank you all so much!

We have already come into so many scenarios that create more questions than answers, and this forum has and is a priceless resource.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #10

I decided to take the time to upload some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
1596031035169.jpg   1596030731334.jpg   1597021275456.jpg  
Old 08-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
As we keep going it seems like there is no amount of youtube binging that will fully prepare you to tackle your own personal bus, but it has been so nice to know that we have the bus and now it is just the work that we need to do.
The fun part is that your personal bus is going to be different than any rig you'll see.

Quote:
A@kazetsukai: We bought our bus from Manchester, NH! how have the winters been for you?
This last winter was the first where I actually heated the bus. I installed a wireless thermostat in the bus and watched it from the house as we weren't yet living in it.

Quote:
Do you stay in NH?
I spent 3 years building this rig and now I'm in the process of selling the house getting ready to go mobile. I built my rig with NH winters in mind, but to be on the safe side, at least this year I'm probably migrating down south.

Quote:
What heating method do you have?
Three sources:
  • Mini split heat pump (primary heat)
  • Dickinson Wood Stove
  • Engine / Hydronic heat loop (driving only)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1121_15%.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	47827Click image for larger version

Name:	split_outdoor_15%.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	47823Click image for larger version

Name:	wood_stove_15%.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	47822

Quote:
We have been trying to determine with all of our family in new england we know that we need to be able to survive winter weather and I would love to hear how you survive.
So, my advice here is to be very aggressive with insulation. What we did:

On the steel floor we remediated all rust, painted with rustoleum primer and then white. We put in 1.5" rigid insulation between 2x4s laid flat, covered that with plywood, then a black plastic vapor layer, then luxury vinyl flooring. It is not as warm as I'd have liked, doing it over, I'd have installed heated floors. That being said, we're fine with slippers.

On the walls we stripped down to the outer layer metal, rust remediated then same rustoleum white. We removed the school bus windows, any skoolie that doesn't is a nonstarter for winters without an oversized wood stove. Replaced with sheet metal an 4x RV windows, 2x of the above linked shed windows.

Continuing on walls, first went up Noico soundproofing. In retrospect this would have been good to put on the ceiling and floor- whisper quiet in here, and I think it does well covering exposed metal surfaces. Then we sistered the ribs with 2x2s on the front (as to double the depth) and packed in standard roll-out insulation from the "steel lip" that held the seats in and up. Walls are ship lap.

Ceiling, we sistered the ribs with 2x2, but on the side. This was to give us an anchor point on the roof that avoided thermal bridging. 1.5" rigid insulation went up, then reflectix. In retrospect, I think the reflectix should have been used as the final layer on the walls as well. Ceiling is also ship lap.

The insulation was lots of work, but the results speak for themselves. Set to 70F, the split held that temp throughout the winter.

Name:	bus_winter.jpg
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	47826

Name:	temps.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	47825

Using a thermal optic it's pretty clear where the weaknesses of my insulation are, the windows. The last of the metal surfaces were covered up a month or two ago, so I should get better results this year.

Name:	thermals_passeng_crop.jpg
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	47824

I left open the possibility of installing one of the diesel heaters, although I'm not sure I need it at this rate. Depends on where I end up.

Takeaways:
  • Cover any and all metal surfaces possible.
  • Fix any and all drafts, seal up holes.
  • Avoid thermal bridging wherever possible.
  • Use the best insulation you can where you can.
  • Have multiple heat sources if at all possible.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
Skoolie

Check out this bus build, being as its their third build they have figured out lots of things that give good results.

https://youtu.be/hw1UpnSjLV0
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote