Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by xciter101 View Post
I absolutely understand being cautious with the fluid changing but I've done old gas vehicles so many times that I couldn't wait. And typically I had a harder time than this. I'm actually going to pick up an RV today and start that battle with its 454 BB Chevy that's been sitting about 10 years also.
The brakes feel great and the tires look good too. All of them were still fully aired up. I am eager to take it around the block one time.
Yeah, I've burned 6 yr old gasoline before. Didn't so much as hiccup. Fuel I wouldn't worry too much about especially in a diesel. With their compression, you can burn rocks.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My two year old diesel seems to be ok. I've been running my RYO bus more lately to burn up whats in the tank.
Gonna refill it with some fresh fuel and some Diesel Kleen.
Maybe even a dose of HotShot's Secret, instead.

Not surprised it fired right up. Like I said- my bus had icicles inside it in a cold KY winter and one used battery fired it right up without hesitation.
Now get that sucker all cleaned up and decrustified and keep the pics coming, man!
CONGRATS!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Really happy for you she fired up. Good for another life now. She'll be pretty all gussied up I bet.
As far as the 454 BB I have all or most of the specs and diagrams if you need help too.

John
Old 06-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas?
Thanks again to all who replied.

I appreciate all the input and I guess it's time to back out of this thread.

I am not really accustomed to the proper etiquette of message boards, so forgive me if it's normal to reply to each person individually, I will hopefully get there. I really don't sit down at the computer too often.
For now I am on a tight budget and unsure if I'll even be able to keep this for a project but I sure want to as of now.
I'm sure I'll see you all in future posts as I drool over some of your Skoolies.

E.J.
xciter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:07 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
I am not really accustomed to the proper etiquette of message boards, so forgive me if it's normal to reply to each person individually,
That depends entirely on how bored you get. I have a lot of free time at work so ... I reply more than most. I'd rather be working on the bus but still need a paycheck.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My two year old diesel seems to be ok. I've been running my RYO bus more lately to burn up whats in the tank.
Gonna refill it with some fresh fuel and some Diesel Kleen.
Maybe even a dose of HotShot's Secret, instead.

Not surprised it fired right up. Like I said- my bus had icicles inside it in a cold KY winter and one used battery fired it right up without hesitation.
Now get that sucker all cleaned up and decrustified and keep the pics coming, man!
CONGRATS!
Brings another question to mind. I've been a long time fan of Lucas additives. I don't know anything about these additives you mentioned but had planned on dumping Lucas into my tank, as their claims include Diesel engines.
Again I'm on a budget but prefer quality in preventative maintenance.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Brings another question to mind. I've been a long time fan of Lucas additives. I don't know anything about these additives you mentioned but had planned on dumping Lucas into my tank, as their claims include Diesel engines.
Someone claimed that the additive he mentioned (HotShot) was an instant success. Engine ran smoother, better mpg, etc. on the first tank full. Don't remember who it was tho. It was one of the old timers that doesn't believe in snake oil so ... The stuff is not cheap; something like $100 for enough to do an 8.3L. I need to decide when I'm going to do a fluids change on mine. Probably do it when it hits 180,000 miles.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'm also a Lucas fan. My engine ran noticeably smoother and quieter almost immediately. Lucas is what the truck drivers in this area use and I think they've got the practical experience to say what works best. It's also much less expensive than some of the new brands.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
only lucas ive ever run is I always run a couple quarts of Lucas engine oil stop leak in both busses.. not sure if it works but both of them only seep a little oil.. I havent tried hotshot secret oil treatment yet..

I run 1/2 bottle of diesel Kleen in every other tank of fuel (mny tanks are 25 gallon).. and i have to say my busses run great with it..

my DT-360 has no plugs and wasnt plugged in but still started up in 0 degree F weather.. my T-444E in the same weather with just one glow-plug cycle started like it was a warm day..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #30
Bus Geek

I want to say it was Dred, Oldfart, Millicent... one of those guys that tried the Hot Shot and fell in love with it.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

My ex ran a Saturn it of oil. Was knocking and trying to overheat. I put about 2.5 qts of Lucas and the rest with oil.
She smoked and coughed for about 3 minutes and then was fine for the year we had it afterwards. Maybe it was luck but I've used all their products since then for all my gas burners.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #32
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I add 1 oz of 2-stroke oil/gallon to accommodate our "modern" diesel fuel. Injection pump lubricity=

More is not better here.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:

All opinion, so take this for what its worth. But IMO Lucas isn't all that great.
Diesel Kleen is the #1 choice of truckers and diesel techs for a reason, its amazing stuff and you can notice the difference when you run it.
Lucas won't hurt anything, but next time you're buying stuff for your bus I'd heartily suggest trying the DK. HotShot's Secret oil additive is GOOD stuff for adding to the oil. I swear it made my engine a bit quiter, but who knows could just be in my head.
I'm not a big fan of additives in general, most of them are just snake oil.
Diesel Kleen and HotShots are two I swear by.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
So far I've only used Lucas so I can't compare it to any other products. I bought a gallon jug, and considering I'm supposed to add a pint to every third tank of fuel it's going to last me a year or more for about $30. The difference was noticeable within five minutes after getting back on the road.

One of the things that might have made a difference with my application of this product was that I added a pint of fuel treatment to a half tank of fuel and then drove for 30 minutes before filling the tank. This stuff is preferred by the logging, dump and cement truckers in this area. I'm going to guess it's because of the climate.

I also used a quart of oil treatment, which was likely also a Lucas product that reduced engine noise significantly.

I plan to try DK after this jug of Lucas runs out. The price of DK is considerably higher compared to Lucas. If the DK makes a noticeable improvement it would obviously be the better product.

I think back to years ago when Slick-50 first came out. There's always a product that makes a remarkable difference at first but the effects usually seem to wain over time.

There's a huge wall of oil and fuel additives at every parts store. Don't know what's in them and don't care. Tired of researching. It seems like clean oil and clean fuel should be enough to take care of a bus.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
All opinion, so take this for what its worth. But IMO Lucas isn't all that great.
Diesel Kleen is the #1 choice of truckers and diesel techs for a reason, its amazing stuff and you can notice the difference when you run it.
Lucas won't hurt anything, but next time you're buying stuff for your bus I'd heartily suggest trying the DK. HotShot's Secret oil additive is GOOD stuff for adding to the oil. I swear it made my engine a bit quiter, but who knows could just be in my head.
I'm not a big fan of additives in general, most of them are just snake oil.
Diesel Kleen and HotShots are two I swear by.
Found some DK just a couple days after this post and, just around the farm, felt like there was a noticeable increase in throttle response right away. Best part is I found it at a local surplus store at half the cost as Wally World.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
Found some DK just a couple days after this post and, just around the farm, felt like there was a noticeable increase in throttle response right away. Best part is I found it at a local surplus store at half the cost as Wally World.

I buy gallons of DK at Rural King cheap. Ditto on the throttle response.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I buy gallons of DK at Rural King cheap. Ditto on the throttle response.
I'm guessing there's no shelf life to consider on DK? Mine aren't coded, which may be why this surplus store has huge quantities on the shelf? Might go make an offer on their stock. LOL

Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
DK has made my DT-360 go from running good to running Fantastic in the DRV bus,,
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #39
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
it runs!!!!! go take a School Bus ride!! and get the biggest grin on your face you have ever had! trust me you will!!

congrats!
-Christopher

So ture. Everyone who has been in my bus couldn't stop smiling the whole ride. Everytime i get in mine i feel like a little kid on christmas. Love it
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote