Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2022, 08:48 PM   #1

Smile Finally doing it... I think.

Been a member since 2018 but I finally decided to get one... if it pans out.

I am going tomorrow to look at a 1996 INTERNATIONAL 3000 SERIES 3800 based on gates vin run it has the 7.3L T444 with 160k on it and Air Brakes. It's been gutted already as well.

Is there anything specific I should look for? I found a run down for the air brake check which I plan on doing but anything else? I've worked as a mechanic and been a hobbyist for years but this is my first diesel experience. I'm not afraid to wrench I've even torn open the BMW M3 s54 I had and replaced the head gasket and chains plus plenty more. So I have some confidence in myself but the big scary bus feels intimidating.

Any advice would be TRULY appreciated!

jshbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I have a 40' ex greyhound Bus conversion - with air brakes. My best advice:
1. Insurance -- get that before any purchase. That is the situation I am in to purchase a short bus.
2. Learn how to do an air brake test. Commercial drivers license requires you really know this. Could save your life. Note: I had a Class A Commercial - drove 18 wheeler. Now just a Class A license. (Texas). You will not need a CDL but make sure you understand how air brakes work (or don't work).
FYI
don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:29 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
The T444 is a good reliable engine so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Is this a dog nose bus? I’m assuming it is, personally I’d go for hydraulic brakes over air but mine has air. Just make sure your state doesn’t require something special for air brakes as I think most do.
-Make sure it’s not rusty
-drive it around and make sure the transmission shifts smoothly
-look for fluid leaks
-get service history if available
-check the age of the tires and the tread, and for cracking on the sidewall

Keep in mind if there’s problems or repairs needed a seller is almost never going to be upfront or honest about it. Some will though.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote