Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: 77
Finally got the highest bid!

Hey, y'all!

I'm still shaking from the massive adrenaline flood I had as I worked my way to the winning the bid on a bus! Finally! Now for the next beginnings. I'm looking forward to diving into the mass of info and wisdom here. So glad I found you!

Kim

for being here!

ArtRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Details....we want details!

Sooooo, what did you buy?

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post

William
Yeah, don't leave us hangin! Give us the details!!
Congratulations and welcome to the club.
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post

William
'09 International
Old 06-30-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
Yeah, don't leave us hangin! Give us the details!!
Congratulations and welcome to the club.
Bear, and William!

My previous anwser was painfully incomplete...

Here's what I have so far--
'09 International
model CE300
Type C body style
77 (?) passenger

MaxxForceDT engine
Allison 2500 trans
260,000 miles

Luck gave us the auction we won that is only 14 miles away from home! Yeh!

I'll go get a One Trip permit at the Tax office and check with my insurance on coverage for the trip home.

Although I've driven several box trucks, farm tractors, and such, I've never driven one of these long buses. Feeling a little trepidation about it! If you have advice for me about driving it home, I would love to hear it!

Thanks, Bear and William, for your welcoming posts!

Kim
Old 06-30-2021, 07:43 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
If it's a transit, the steer axle is behind the driver's seat, so on turns, you start to turn the wheel after you've proceeded into the intersection.

That's the biggest thing I see with new drivers. Turning too soon hits curbs, etc. and less then 1% of the vehicles on the road have the steer axle behind the driver like in a bus, so no amount of box trucks, semi, tractors driving can prepare you for that.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:56 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
If it's a transit, the steer axle is behind the driver's seat, so on turns, you start to turn the wheel after you've proceeded into the intersection.

That's the biggest thing I see with new drivers. Turning too soon hits curbs, etc. and less then 1% of the vehicles on the road have the steer axle behind the driver like in a bus, so no amount of box trucks, semi, tractors driving can prepare you for that.
Hey Booyah- Thanks! This booger is a dog nose. Does your advice apply to one of these as well?
Old 06-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
steering....

You sound like you have spent time on a farm/ranch....... so, That will help.

been there, done that.

turns..... you are going to go slower and stick the nose out there.... then crank that steering wheel and turn that rig ....

1) the rear wheels that are to the inside of the turn ALWAYS run a path that is inside the most......

2) when the front goes left, that rear part hangin out behind the rear axle goes right.... If the tail is long enough, you can put it into the other lanes of traffic! If there is a vehicle there..... well, both cant occupy the same space without there being problems...

That is about all I can think of for now.... If your new bus has air brakes... go read up and watch videos about driving with air brakes...

have the bus people teach you about setting and releasing the parking brake.

video this so that you can practice and remember.

Have the the bus people show you how to turn off water valves for the heaters and turn off again.

I am assuming you are picking up the bus from the "bus barn" where busses are normally parked and worked on.

get copies of maintenance logs if you can... get copies of repair manuals if you can.

make some new friends.. the people at the bus barn might be a very good group of folks to ask questions later.

oh! oh! oh! ask around and see if the bus you bought has been a problem child or a "goodun" if you can the find the person that has driven this bus the most.... they might be able to tell you about any quirks your particular rig has.

you can ask if the transmission is set up for 5 speeds or 6 speeds. This should be able to do 6 speeds, but commonly set up for only 5. all the parts are there but the program only allows 5 speeds to be used.

hey thanks for the filling in the details..... fun stuff

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

OMG-- what fantastic info, William!! Thanks so much. I'll be sure i have your list with me. This particular bus was one that the driver did not want to give up when it was time for a new one, that's how much she loved it! Maybe they'll agree to give my number to her and I can chat her up about it's history and why she loved it so much. The records were all there for a previous bus I tried for at this school district, and I'm hoping it is their norm. Thanks again, William.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtRanch View Post
Hey Booyah- Thanks! This booger is a dog nose. Does your advice apply to one of these as well?
Nope, disregard it and drive it like a box truck
Old 06-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:

CE300 is a conventional. all the 300's came with Maxxforce DT.

CE200 is a conventional with the V8 (most got Maxxforce 7).

09 is still ther single turbo which is the better of the 2. at 260k miles its ripe for EGR cooler failure unless they have been replaced. be aware of any unknown coolant loss.. positive energy says it will be a good runner. the MFDT is a good powerful engine rated at 230 or above in most busses ive seen.. the 2500 PTS used as the trans in 09 will have 5 gears available with 6th as an option should you need it or want it down the road.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
CE300 is a conventional. all the 300's came with Maxxforce DT.

CE200 is a conventional with the V8 (most got Maxxforce 7).

09 is still ther single turbo which is the better of the 2. at 260k miles its ripe for EGR cooler failure unless they have been replaced. be aware of any unknown coolant loss.. positive energy says it will be a good runner. the MFDT is a good powerful engine rated at 230 or above in most busses ive seen.. the 2500 PTS used as the trans in 09 will have 5 gears available with 6th as an option should you need it or want it down the road.
Good info! As soon as i get it and the records I'll check them for the items you listed.
Thanks, Cadillackid!
Old 06-30-2021, 03:42 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Nope, disregard it and drive it like a box truck
Thanks just the same!
Old 07-08-2021, 03:01 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
If I was me, I would hire a commercial bus driver to drive it home.
As you tag along with your clip-board furiously scribbling notes while your partner runs the video camera, that experienced driver will show the professional pre-drive checks of fuel, fluids, belts/hoses, tires, glass, brakes.
The pre-drive verification of the air system just might save your you-know-whatsis.
A tutorial from an experienced professional is worth the price of lunch.
Use the time to pick some brains.
And remember to video because you cannot remember everything.
And, if you are pleased with the service, tip generously!
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:44 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
If I was me, I would hire a commercial bus driver to drive it home.
As you tag along with your clip-board furiously scribbling notes while your partner runs the video camera, that experienced driver will show the professional pre-drive checks of fuel, fluids, belts/hoses, tires, glass, brakes.
The pre-drive verification of the air system just might save your you-know-whatsis.
A tutorial from an experienced professional is worth the price of lunch.
Use the time to pick some brains.
And remember to video because you cannot remember everything.
And, if you are pleased with the service, tip generously!
Thank you so much! I've been watching lots of training videos for driving and maintaining 72 passenger buses, making lists for the pre-trip check and reference point driving too. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with a shop boss that is a bit grumpy and not too forthcoming with info, other than the promised folder of it's repair and maint. history. If he will give my ph# to the original driver, I'm hoping to chat her up about it's personality. She might be my best bet for finding a driver to get it home for me... The best part? We only have 14 miles (half highway and half country road) to go if I don't have any luck finding another driver for this first run. I like the clip board notes taker plus videographer idea that keeps coming up- I love a good strategy! Hopefully we'll be picking her up next week depending on their "paper work" getting finished up. Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Hop in the seat and drive it home.. and then drive it around before you convert it. If you aren’t comfortable driving the bus as a bus with all its mirrors and all its seats then how are you going to drive it once you convert it covering up windows and making it heavier with a conversion?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Hop in the seat and drive it home.. and then drive it around before you convert it. If you aren’t comfortable driving the bus as a bus with all its mirrors and all its seats then how are you going to drive it once you convert it covering up windows and making it heavier with a conversion?
Good points! I'm not necessarily uncomfortable driving it...I'll practice out here on the country roads too. I will be using this bus as an art studio and emergency only evacuation (fire is our remissness in these parts). We don't plan on driving it a lot or using it as an RV-- yet, anyway!
Old 07-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

We brought her home today!

She's not in her permanent parking spot yet, a little more clearing has to be done in order to make the turn to back her in. Tight fit, lots of trees. No, we didn't leave enough room for the front as the back pivots into the spot... surprise! We’re clearing mixed forest and yaupon by hand here every day, so just a bit more ain't no thing!

We're planning to park her with a big concrete pad under each wheel-- we live on very soft 'sugar sand' in the Post Oak Savana in Texas and we think it will help the tires and the soil. If you happen to have a similar issue with parking long term on soft soil, I would love to hear about your solution!

I had a great time driving her home, all 14 miles of it!

She is officially referred to as The Art Ranch Bus, however, she has not received her personal name, it hasn't come to me yet.

I haven’t figured out how to add photos here yet, but, I can tell you she looks just like the other 2.7 million other road weary long yellow buses near by!

I think it's yanking out the seats first. Here we go!
Old 07-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #19
Skoolie

Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 6.6 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: ?
Good luck and major congratulations!
Buster Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #20
Commercial Member