Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #1

Finally starting a long project

Hey all!
Recently joined, been looking at school bus conversions for years, dreamed of owning my own bus ling before that. Finally got a chance when the local school system put a bunch of busses up for auction.
I was able to walk away with a 2006 Thomas Built FS65 with the 6.7 mercedes diesel. 74k miles on it, and it is actually the bus that my grandmother has drove for the school system since it was new.
I'm super excited to get started, and hoping once work quiets down a bit I'll be able to get to it!
I plan to make a family trip RV/"Party" bus, something the whole family can ride in and be comfortable, maybe use it for some camping too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210320_152756397_HDR.jpg   IMG_20210316_131504328_HDR.jpg   IMG_20210316_130923115_HDR.jpg   IMG_20210316_130432842_HDR.jpg  

Nraynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Welcome and Congratulations!

What a fantastic family connection to the bus.

The two things I would comment on are:

1) As a 2006, it's likely got some emissions. I'm not sure what kind or how it affects driving or maintaining the engine. A lot of people on here are emission adverse. Learning what you can about that aspect of the engine will help in trouble shooting and keeping the engine in good shape.

2) Per being able to carry other people, hold onto some of the old seats! You'll likely be required to have seatbelts for passengers as a personal vehicle. Those old seats are solid, already mounted in the bus. I'd figure which ones you want to keep and design the rest of the bus around them. I think the seatbelt bolts/nuts, etc., have some rating requirements.

Otherwise, sounds like you've got a great bus.

Best of luck.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:27 AM   #3

Thank you!

We are actually looking at picking up some bucket seats and building mounts to keep everything legal and bolted down properly.
My father in-law is a large diesel mechanic, as well as fleet mechanic for a local trucking company he has actually worked on this type of engine before, and he knows all about them and their quirks.

I can't wait to actually get things moving!
Nraynes is offline   Reply With Quote