Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 12:18 AM   #1

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt466
Rated Cap: 71
First post! International dt466 71 passenger

Hey all! The cold weather has slowed my progress so I think this is a perfect moment to take the time to join the community and introduce myself and my skoolie in process!
I've got a 2004 international with a DT466 engine and a T2000 Allison transmission. It's a wisconsin bus so rust was a concern but all things considered I lucked out. However once the seats came out and the plywood came up I realized that if I wasn't careful I could put a hammer through some of the weaker spots. The weather turned cold before I could finish getting the plywood out and treat and paint the rusty floor.
And that's where I'm at at the moment. I think next I need to winterize the engine for the season somehow. If I luck out with a warm snap I can paint the floors and put in the subflooring and insulation this year still. In the mean time I've been working on a scale model of the layout and researching my options for solar and electrical.
Any feedback about my bus, my build so far, really anything in general so far is very welcome. Any help on this crazy project is a great assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181029_164415_210.jpg   IMG_20181019_124518_316.jpg   IMG_20180919_191540_914.jpg   IMG_20181112_204358_082.jpg   IMG_20181112_203136_665.jpg  

BeholdAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome aboard. Since it's cold outside and will be for awhile you have the time to get to working on that floor. Grinding all the rust, patching holes, etc. Get a warm enough day and then roll on some rust inhibitive primer or something similar. Good luck!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Welcome to the craziness! You can definitely get some work done over the winter. We got a ton done last winter in Chicago. You'll find that the greenhouse effect works well on sunny days, and with a little assist from a propane or electric space heater you'll be able to work comfortably without a coat.
As far as winterizing the engine, I think you can just fill up the fuel tank and add some anti-gel to it and you'll be good to go. Don't run the engine unless you're going to drive it.

Just keep plugging away and the incremental progress will reward you and keep you inspired.....before you know it, you'll be ready to hit the road!
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome!

I've got an 04 with the same engine/trans.
Change your coolant if its not brand new looking. Keep it in top top shape and always make sure the ph and additives are 100% perfect. The coolant and its passages as well as the liner seals are THE weak link on these engines. I learned the hard way.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #5

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Engine: Dt466
Rated Cap: 71
Thanks for the warm welcome! The weather might cooperate enough to get something done soon. Either way the floors have been a thorn long enough I want to start process, not just ripping stuff out.
I really appreciate the tip about the coolant! Where do I find the specs for maintenance on the bus? Mine didn't come with a manual, unfortunately.
BeholdAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote