Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
My biggest learning curve but, most useful tool has been welding.
Right on, I actually signed up for some classes at Indianapolis Art Center that start in March--welding and blacksmithing--in preparation for the build. Agree that spending that extra bit for quality materials will pay off in the end...part of the reason this is on hold, don't want to put it together with bubblegum and baling wire. Not that there's anything wrong with that approach, but I aim to build something that will last a while and isn't in constant need of maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonce4 View Post
closed door = open window so good luck on the job thing... I will be bartering my way through the more complicated process of the conversion...just got my bus and was more than excited to find this site ... have already learned sooooo much even before removing the seats...happy trails!
For sure! It just happened so I'm still a bit rocked, but trying to keep it positive and looking for new and different opportunities. When you say you'll be bartering your way through the conversion are you talking about the work, the materials, or all of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Sucks about your job, but doesn't mean you need to stop planning/learning the skills. Someone mentioned welding class- may lead you into very lucrative career. Carpentry, electrician- same.

Somefolks on the board have gotten busses for free- or close to it (CB EC). Even if a beater, fix it up, sell and get one you want..ie stepping stones, I call it.

Help other people on their builds and learn on their conversion. This could end-up an actual home for a single young person.

Good luck, read read read.
Yeah, I talked to my cousin--who's a plumber--about maybe getting into that field. Gives me a job and expands my skills. Taking a welding and a blacksmithing class in March, that might open some doors too. I still plan to research and learn what I can, but the timeline is pretty much shot...goal was to find my bus in the next month or two and start the tear down in May. Good advice on helping others with their build!

Anyone building in IN?!

his_dudeness1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #22
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
[QUOTE=Rusty;186174]You think you have a problem? Mine isn't just limited to buses. It's auctions, in general.

what is your favorite auction site? I'm a bit of a collector myself...
Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #23
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
GovLiq used to be the big player, but they lost DRMO contract to GovPlanet. GovDeals will have 2nd hand military stuff municipalities are done with.

The one thing I noticed is that whatever the item is, it looks small on my computer screen but is very large and heavy in real life.

Buying military auction items is a GREAT way to become single.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:19 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Long time no post!! Quick update on.... well, life.

After being laid off, I took the blacksmithing course March '17, but had to request a refund for the welding course to pay some bills.

In May of 2017, a couple months after my last post, I started working as a stagehand at Deer Creek (formerly Verizon Wireless, then Klipsch, now Ruoff) Music Center in Noblesville, IN. The production company contracted by the venue was happy with my progress and added me to their corporate A/V tech rotation. Both roles have given me a plethora of hands on--pun very much intended--experience and exposure to building sets and stages, rigging, cabling, audio, lighting, etc., etc. I'm *way* more confident in myself and particularly my skillset(s) than I was when I was laid off from my desk job in Feb 2017.

In September of 2017 a co-worker had an idea for some t-shirts but didn't know how to execute it. Since I have a graphic design background and a bit of print experience having helped a friend of a friend in his shop for a few months in 2017, I told him I could make the shirts happen! I turned that into a hobby then, in April 2019, made it a legitimate business (www.iriemane.com)... though it's far from sustaining me, financially.

I met someone in May 2018, everything was great and she was on board with the skoolie idea initially, but late in 2019 she decided it wasn't for her. We split just before Covid broke out late Feb. 2020. Covid also blew up the stagehand/rigging path I was on, but things are trending in the right direction ::knock on wood::... set to start working full time again in mid-March.

Still have the dream, but I'm back to where I was in 2014 when I initially decided this was what I wanted to do... paying off debt. I'm much more prepared and pick up bits and pieces when I find them. Biggest score has been a Magic Chef 9.2 cu. ft. Bottom Freezer Refrigerator in Stainless for about $300 (discounted after damage during shipment)!
Old 02-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #25
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Don't feel bad, I believe at this point it's just not meant to be for me, for a lot of reasons.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:58 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Don't feel bad, I believe at this point it's just not meant to be for me, for a lot of reasons.
Oh, I don't. **** happens. Definitely wanted to be on the road by now... but the "detours" have actually paid off as I've learned so much and met awesome people along the way. Some of them have even offered to help with the build when it comes time.

Certainly not giving up on the dream.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
In some respects, the OP has been given a great gift by being "as needed".

1) Unemployment $ possibility.
2) Education possibilities, such as trades to learn to build things, meaning maybe a new career depending on his current career.
3) Time to practice building things.
4) Time to watch YouTube videos on how to build things.
5) Picking up a job outside of his current employers hours as a helper for a contractor, plumber, etc.
6) Time to research buses, engines, transmissions, etc.

So many people for so long have had situations that seem like it's a closing a door, but in reality, it opened a whole bunch of other ones.

Be positive.

Best of luck
Old 03-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
In some respects, the OP has been given a great gift by being "as needed".

1) Unemployment $ possibility.
2) Education possibilities, such as trades to learn to build things, meaning maybe a new career depending on his current career.
3) Time to practice building things.
4) Time to watch YouTube videos on how to build things.
5) Picking up a job outside of his current employers hours as a helper for a contractor, plumber, etc.
6) Time to research buses, engines, transmissions, etc.

So many people for so long have had situations that seem like it's a closing a door, but in reality, it opened a whole bunch of other ones.

Be positive.

Best of luck
For sure! Done/doing most of these and always looking for open doors opposed to worrying about the closed ones. This new stimulus check will help wipe out some debt and help me afford a couple of woodworking classes I've been eyein'! 🤙🤙
Old 03-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #29
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
His dudeness...

Or... El Duderino... If your not into the whole brevity thing...

Respect..
crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote