Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2023, 04:37 PM   #1

Year: 2003
First time school bus buyer/converter

Does anyone have any tips for insuring a bus? Or the minimum conversion required to title it as a "motor home" in Colorado? First time buyer. Found a great bus that passed an emissions test. Was looking into insurance and my insurace agency (Allstate) nor the two that they referred me too insure busses.

First time buyer of a bus, and participant of this site, browsing I see that there are many pages on conversions. A minimum conversion to title a bus as a motor home would be the particular one of use to me, hopefully it is here

EricChristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 05:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
How to find insurance for your state -> Click Here

search button - this has been talked about ALOT!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 08:33 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricChristensen View Post
Does anyone have any tips for insuring a bus? Or the minimum conversion required to title it as a "motor home" in Colorado? First time buyer. Found a great bus that passed an emissions test. Was looking into insurance and my insurace agency (Allstate) nor the two that they referred me too insure busses.

First time buyer of a bus, and participant of this site, browsing I see that there are many pages on conversions. A minimum conversion to title a bus as a motor home would be the particular one of use to me, hopefully it is here
Thinking outside the box, if you have a business you can get it insured at Progressive Commercial. It has its limitations but certainly allows you to be legal while you figure out a long term solution.
American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 08:55 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
DIY, Prefab RV Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricChristensen View Post

-----------------------

One of the best ideas I read about: prefab everything needed to legally convert before taking possession of a bus.

Simon did exactly that in his Mesa-AZ-Build thread.

Before Simon even brought his bus home, he procured a generator, solar panel, air mattress & a fridge. He then fabricated a freestanding, combination sink/stove.

Brilliant!

Once the bus arrived, he needed only to remove the bus items and secure the prefabricated RV 'compliance' items, for a speedy inspection.

One could also prefab a compliance commode.

Check Colorado requirements, a compost toilet may not count toward 4 out of 6, or thier requirements.

Once the inspection, insurance,
registration documentation is complete, the compliance items may be scrapped, sold or reused, whatever But insurance, title, registration... Done, first-week, fast. Long before the wood stove, roof raise or upper deck. RV plates are great for code enforcers, too.

IMHO, Anyone who is still bus shopping, but anxious to get started, could likely be constructing something while they're searching.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:15 AM   #5

Contact this person that's all they do. It's like a little community of RVs and bus that insure from them

Courtney from Roamly 512-877-5338, my email is courtney.fitzgerald@roamly.com

You can look them up on the internet
Tsoclose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado, first time buyer, insurance, minimum conversion