Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

First-Timer in WA

Hey, guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been plotting and dreaming about converting a short bus for years and am in a place where I can start moving forward.

Seems like there's a bunch of folks in the PNW into schoolie conversions. I'm the first to profess that I have no relevant skills for dealing with a bus... if there's anyone within a reasonable distance of Western Washington that would be willing and able to mentor me I would LOVE to help folks with their projects to get some experience, learn some skills, and tally some "ya-owe-me" points for when I need help getting out those pesky seats one day!

I'd love any tips on where to buy a reasonably priced used short school bus in the area, mechanics folks have used and trust (I know nothing about engines!), electrical tips, on-board batteries and RV-style wiring, how to appropriately register a schoolie in Washington, resources, so much more - any help appreciated! If anybody local is willing and able, I'd be very happy to trade labor on your project for a buddy to help check out busses when the time comes. I wouldn't know what to look for other than the obvious and I'd love someone with experience tagging along who could point out possible issues I would otherwise miss.

I'm not going for a traditional living space conversion. I train and show German Shepherds and would love to use my bus for dog shows and camping. That means plenty of space for canines, no built-in water tanks, no bulky kitchen or bathroom setups, and rugged/durable finishes. I imagine it as a cross between a toy hauler and a lightweight camper. If I can park it on an incline and hose out the back all the better! Five GSDs shed more than you can imagine.

Nice to meet you all after lurking for so long. Hope this sunny weather makes everything easier for everybody in the PNW!

marbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

I live in Winlock, WA and have been in the bus business in one way or another for forty years.

There isn't much about buses I haven't had to deal with over the years so I know which power packages are great, which power packages are okay, and which power packages to avoid.

Good luck and happy trails!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote