Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #1

Thumbs down floor question

I just bought a 1994 Bluebird school bus and stripped out the seats. I have 2 questions.

1) It has a metal floor with a rubber covering thats in really good condition. I've decided, since we live in Louisiana and don't get really cold, not to put plywood down. I just want to glue indoor/outdoor carpeting directly to the rubber floor.
Has anyone ever done this before?

2) After a long rain last night, i saw 2 spots where water had leaked in. Both on the same side of the bus. I can't tell if it came from the roof (no obvious area) or maybe from the windows. The window flashing looks bad there but not any worse than anywhere else. Any suggestions? I do plan on putting an elastomeric coating on the entire roof surface.

thanks,
Rod

lisaandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 77
Pics please.
From what I've seen, most school bus floors are metal/marine plywood/rubber. I don't have any experience with carpeting so I wouldn't be the one to give advice, but my guess is the rubber mat is a relatively smooth surface compared to plywood for adhesive bonding (depending on the product). You might be able to hack out the rubber and glue to the marine plywood, but you'll have to do something about all of the seat bolt holes. What are your plans/location of the bus. Are you not insulating?

Elastomeric acrylic caulk (I assume is on your windows) has a life of ~15 years. I noticed leaking before I took my windows out for the raise, and it would be a safe assumption that at least some of yours are leaking through/around the old caulk. If you're keeping the windows, I suggest recaulking them on the outside. You may also be getting drips from the ceiling emergency exits (I do).

This thread should really be in Conversion General Discussions though.