Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 01:38 AM   #1

Food Not Bombs Food Sharing Tour!

Hey all! My name is Ben and I'm from Asheville, NC.

I've been working with an organization called Food Not Bombs for about 2 years.

Food Not Bombs is a multinational, loose-knit group of collectives that collects food from grocers and farmers that would otherwise go to waste, prepares wholesome vegetarian meals (past date meat isn't always safe to serve) and then shares with anyone and everyone who would like a hot meal.

Now a little while back, my sweetheart and I decided that it'd be fun and informative to take a tour of the U.S. and meet up with other chapters and learn how they distribute food in their communities.

Cut to about two weeks ago, we were offered a 1994 Ford bus with a Diesel Cummins engine that was used as a campaign bus for a local teacher that was running for state rep a few years back.

Everything works on it, save for a small leak in the radiator and a dead battery. If I told you what I paid for it you'd be mad, but suffice it to say, the fella basically gave it to me.

Our long term plan is to outfit the back 16' as a functioning food truck (not necessarily Health Dept compliant, since all the food is free = no inspections) and set up a small bedroom/shower/toilet in the front half.

I'll be posting questions in the correct forums regarding specific projects, so keep an eye out for me!

TL;DR: Look for a bus with FOOD NOT BOMBS on the side in your town this fall and have a meal on us!

SadSpectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:58 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Hi, Ben!

We look forward to seeing the progress on your new project!

You may find that dealing with the leaky radiator is much more expensive than you're anticipating... Have fun on your journey!

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
You may find that dealing with the leaky radiator is much more expensive than you're anticipating...
Good luck!
I got a big 'ol took kit, a welder, 3 junk yards in the area and I'm stubborn as a rock.
I'll get it licked.
SadSpectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:54 AM   #4
Bus Nut

You know, I think you will.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The only suggestion I would have might be to reverse the layout? Living quarters in back and food prep toward the front. The first reason would be plumbing ... you'll likely have and need water and putting these tanks toward the middle of the bus will help it remain more balanced. The other reason is (since I am debating a food-wagon conversion myself) I might want to set up a couple dining booths inside the bus, and I wouldn't want folks having to go through my sleeping quarters to get there.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote