Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

Getting Educated

Hi all. Sam & Michele here. We have decided that we want to convert a school bus over to a home on wheels and become gypsies as soon as the last kid flies the coop. (5yrs or so) just going to be hanging around and picking brains for a long time prior to starting. I'm really OCD when it comes to planning. I once planned a house for 2 years before building it in 13 months. Toolmaker by trade so I firmly believe that I can build anything.

Just want to say ahead of time that I appreciate your patience for seemingly stupid questions.

Samichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hello Sam & Michele. I think you'll fit right in here. It's never to soon to start planning but you'll probably change a lot of your plans in reality. Buses vary so widely that what one person does to his bus, another can not accomplish it the same way. Your experience will serve you well. There are no stupid questions, just differing views.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
I agree there are no stupid questions. When you start you will have many. Also, your plans will change many times. There is an unbelievable amount of knowledge on this site and everyone is more than willing to give their opinion. This site is like a skoolie encyclopedia. All the people are great. I'm so glad that I found this place, I truly enjoy being here. It is nice that you are planning ahead and are going to really enjoy life. It is nice having you here. Please do not hesitate asking questions. One simple question could save you many headaches and dollars. Start asking before you even get close to buying a bus. I'm looking forward to your build. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Well, there are stupid questions, but only if you don't like the answers!

Tons of people doing their own thing and sharing with others on here as well. The nice thing about skoolies are, #1 make it what you want, and #2 if you can't figure it out, we probably have about 500+ years of collective experience in engineering, manufacturing, designing, networking, and converting.

I think we have only 2 expectations here, be nice, and show pics!!!

Welcome to the gang!

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote