Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Getting Started in the Community

Hey Everyone,

New to the site, name is James from Kansas City, MO. I first discovered what a skoolie was after looking into Tiny Homes. I had no idea this was a thing nor did I think they could be as neat as what I've seen.

I'm currently looking for my first bus. I'm interested in Bluebird buses. If anyone watches YouTube (who doesn't) I'm a big fan of Number Juan Bus. I like the short wheel base and the size seems perfect for me...as I will be traveling alone for most of the time.

I came across an auction site called govdeals - I'm curious to know if anyone has purchased a bus thru that site and the experience they had and the condition of the bus once they finally got it in their hands?

I'm not content with the m-f 9-5 anymore and an seeking an adventure and new sights and sounds and this seems like the perfect idea. I plan to document my build on youtube and will look for all the advise I can get.

Bluetoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site, James.
Scored mine on govdeals. It worked well but you must account for their $$ grab out of your pocket. Guess that's the price you pay for using them to buy from.

I would recommend an inspection either in person or hired out, before you bid. Also, I'd recommend staying away from anything from the Rust Belt as many busses as young as 6~7 years have some amounts of rust already forming underneath the chassis.

The majority of busses on govdeals are sold strictly as is, buyer beware.
I feel I got my money's worth, but shipping cost me more than it cost me to buy my bus!
Good luck...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info Pete. Shipping is something I am hoping to avoid. My intent is to find a bus within 500 miles that I could drive back myself. Rust is most definitely a concern. If there are any other sites you guys know of to find busses please let me know. I've been trolling craigslist and ebay looking but have not found "the one" yet.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
You may need to be a little more flexible with that radius to maximize your returns. Barely oxidized busses are more the norm here in TX, CO & AZ has had good reports, too.
Rural busses vs urban are likely going to be better bets as well- less constant stop and go, more likely to have hiway gearing.
iMi dos centavos!
Oh, and welcome to the looney bin. [emoji111]
Old 07-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetoad View Post
Hey Everyone,

New to the site, name is James from Kansas City, MO. I first discovered what a skoolie was after looking into Tiny Homes. I had no idea this was a thing nor did I think they could be as neat as what I've seen.

I'm currently looking for my first bus. I'm interested in Bluebird buses. If anyone watches YouTube (who doesn't) I'm a big fan of Number Juan Bus. I like the short wheel base and the size seems perfect for me...as I will be traveling alone for most of the time.

I came across an auction site called govdeals - I'm curious to know if anyone has purchased a bus thru that site and the experience they had and the condition of the bus once they finally got it in their hands?

I'm not content with the m-f 9-5 anymore and an seeking an adventure and new sights and sounds and this seems like the perfect idea. I plan to document my build on youtube and will look for all the advise I can get.

Welcome James.

I bought my Bluebird RE on GovDeals. I love the bus. I got, a reasonable deal. The seller was great to deal with.

I have also purchased laptops from GovDeals. Smooth transaction.

My only bitch...... The auction for the bus was The week before Thanksgiving. When I won the auction I contacted the seller to arrange pickup. We came to a quick agreement that it would be best for both of us to wait until the week after Thanksgiving. All documented in email.

I picked up the bus with no issues. When I got home I found that my GovDeals account was suspended for not picking the bus up within 10days.

I contacted GovDeals and they flat refused to reinstate my account. Even after the seller contacted GovDeals on my behalf and forwarded the email documentation.

The lady at GD was a complete B about the whole thing.

So I registered a new account and carried on.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

The auction fee on mine was $345.

It came out of Salem OR and was 99% rust free.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

I would've included the PNW as a happy hunting ground too, but figgered that might be a mite much of a stretch of the stated radius... [emoji41]
Old 07-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I would've included the PNW as a happy hunting ground too, but figgered that might be a mite much of a stretch of the stated radius... [emoji41]
Two comments on Washington and Oregon buses.

I lived for many years in the Seattle area. With all of the rain I have been surprised at how many low/no rust buses come from the West side of Washington and Oregon.

I now live in Eastern Washington. Folks are shy to believe me when I tell them that I live in the desert. Eastern Oregon and Washington are pretty dry. You don't have to go very far from me to find sagebrush and rattlesnakes. Sunnyside WA receives about 12" of rain a year and 300+ days of sunshine a year.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thx for the welcome! Duly noted on the radius. I will check out the states you mentioned as well!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The auction fee on mine was $345.

It came out of Salem OR and was 99% rust free.

Good luck.

Good to know what the fees might be. I do have a question, if I buy from another state do I have a get a temp tag or is that already rolled in? Or how does that work - If I get a bus with air brakes (I've never operated air brakes before) can I even drive it legally?
Old 07-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetoad View Post
Good to know what the fees might be. I do have a question, if I buy from another state do I have a get a temp tag or is that already rolled in? Or how does that work - If I get a bus with air brakes (I've never operated air brakes before) can I even drive it legally?
The temp tag is not included. I bought a WA trip permit for around $20. There is some question about the validity of other states temp tags when traveling interstate. A number of folks here don't bother with temp tags at all. I like to at least make a reasonable effort to be legal.

On GovDeals and Publicsurplus.com the auction fees are listed in the auction. Generally a percentage of the sale price. My BB ended at $3450 and the auction fee was 10%.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Two comments on Washington and Oregon buses.

I lived for many years in the Seattle area. With all of the rain I have been surprised at how many low/no rust buses come from the West side of Washington and Oregon.

I now live in Eastern Washington. Folks are shy to believe me when I tell them that I live in the desert. Eastern Oregon and Washington are pretty dry. You don't have to go very far from me to find sagebrush and rattlesnakes. Sunnyside WA receives about 12" of rain a year and 300+ days of sunshine a year.
I can confirm that! I first noticed the wiiiii-ide differences in climate when I took a road trip E from coastal OR.
Some years later, while studying for a degree in Environmental Engineering, I was taught that is called the orographic effect.
As clouds are forced higher due to rising topography, the clouds lose some of their water burden.
Higher the mountains, the greater the loss.
You reside in what's commonly called the rain shadow.
Not that that's remotely relevant here... [emoji57]
Old 07-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
I can confirm that! I first noticed the wiiiii-ide differences in climate when I took a road trip E from coastal OR.
Some years later, while studying for a degree in Environmental Engineering, I was taught that is called the orographic effect.
As clouds are forced higher due to rising topography, the clouds lose some of their water burden.
All right on the money except I don't live in what we call the rain shadow or banana belt. That is in the Sequim are over on the West side. I am 250+ miles East of there.

link:http://www.olympicrainshadow.com/
Old 08-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #14

I'm new to the skoolie idea myself, bluetoad. I've been watching for buses on purplewave.com. They are a kansas local auction site out of Manhattan.

Good luck and happy hunting.
jlv5337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlv5337 View Post
I'm new to the skoolie idea myself, bluetoad. I've been watching for buses on purplewave.com. They are a kansas local auction site out of Manhattan.

Good luck and happy hunting.
I just discovered that site like last week. Hopefully will find something soon. Good luck to you and let me know if you find yourself a good deal.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:52 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3L Cummins 6CTA
Rated Cap: 84
I just picked my bus I bought on govdeals.

Won the auction 7/15 and was able to contact the seller and arranged for them to hold it till 8/20 for pickup for no extra fee (GD says seller MAY charge $10/day past 10 days).

After just shy of 2000 miles to the middle of america from Sacramento, the bus ran great the entire trip! Just noticed today a leak from underneath the engine compartment (diesel mech friend thinks its just the water/fuel separator that needs emptying).

I did not have any tags for the entire trip and was never hassled (really only saw hwy patrol during construction zones and then all over once I hit Missery). My bus has air brakes which technically would require a cdl to drive (as well as the GVWR >26,000 and seating capacity for >15) however I only have my class F with M endorsement which wont be an issue once I get the titled changed to RV.
Gnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
and just a few miles north of where PNW_Steve lives, we live in an area classed as an interior rain forest - lush growth and most often mild winters with lots of snow - an area abound with ski hills and big game hunting and fishing
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote