Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #1

Glad to be here. Researching if school bus is what I need.

Hi from Missouri!

I apologize now, as I realize this has turned into a bit of a ramble... a typing out loud trying to gather my thoughts as I go

I just found your forum today, though I have looked at buses on and off for awhile now.

I am trying to research, I am wanting something to camp in, not necessarily primitive as I usually go somewhere with hook ups, showers, bathrooms, etc. But I do pull a horse trailer. Guessing about 2000lb trailer with another 1000- 3500lbs of horses. And then another X amount for tack and gear. Honestly, I have never figured it up.

Anyways, I have a Silverado 2500 but I don't normally use it for hauling very far, as I am afraid to drive it very far. It may be just fine, but I haven't tested it. So I usually use the Tahoe for overnight trips. I have slept in the back of the Tahoe before. I have slept in the back of the horse trailer before, and thinking of doing that again but I need to add some things to make it more suitable for things like keeping out the bugs and rain.

That would take a bit of time to set up each trip - to clean out, set up house, then pack it all away again. But I like that idea better than setting up a tent on the ground.

Then these ideas of how to make my horse trailer more comfy, get me to thinking about things like converting a shuttle bus or school bus. Which then I think maybe I should just get an rv or some kind of rv van, that is already finished. Nothing fancy. I am looking to do this all on the cheap.

I just don't know what is the right fit. Mostly I am worried about towing capacity, braking ability, gas mileage, and things like parking on wet grass (usually it is like parking in a yard or field next to a hookup) where sometimes I have to lock in 4WD. I have also read that buses are just tougher than rvs. So I would feel safer on the road. I would feel safer in a storm I think? I live in the midwest, so a windy thunderstorm could happen at a moments notice.

I guess the nice thing about a bus, I can get by with just a place to sleep, and not put much money into it initially, whereas an RV might cost a little more upfront because it is already finished. I do like the idea of something other than my horse trailer, because I can load my stuff in the bus and just leave it, rather than have to load it in the tahoe, unload it to set up camp in the horse trailer, then pack it all away again in the tahoe so i can load horses back into the trailer, then unload it all again when i get home. I like the touch it once theory. Plus, I really am asking alot of my Tahoe too. I don't think I would pull a 3rd horse along with all the other camping stuff for a weekend. So I really want to get something different to tow with - truck, bus, van.... something as most of my camping weekends, I will need to haul 3 horses this year.

Most of the places that I go, I go with friends who drive their own rig, so one of them could even haul my horse(s), though I would hate to depend on that, but if that were the case, then they could bunk with me in the bus. The trip in April, my friend is hauling the horses, and I am going to pull her pop-up. So we are still doubling up on gas, but there will be 4 or 5 of us to go in on the gas, so not really that bad of deal.

So I am just trying to survey my options I am thinking that with the right set up, we might use it more and more. Do more camping. Go see kids and family more, not just horse camping. Shoot, as retirement nears, if it weren't for the horses, I could see selling everything and living in it full time.

Ok, sorry to ramble. I am just trying to figure it all out Thanks for any insight

gopintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
http://www.horsenation.com/2014/08/1...ving-quarters/

If your horses load half decent, scroll to the middle of the page in the above link. If you park where you think it will be soft, keep some planks handy, that way you can park, throw out your planks, pull up on them and your good to go when you leave. Simple is better.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote