Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Greeting from Central Texas

Owning a Skoolie has been a dream of mine since the mid 70’s. I have had several RV’s, campers and vans over the years and they’ve served me well. But the allure of a Skoolie has always been there in the back of my mind. For the last few months I have been scouring the internet. Within the last week I have found three candidates two of which have already been converted. They are all located two to three hrs drive from me. In the next four to five days I will be going to look at all three. I would really like to buy the blank canvas bus and do all the conversion myself. But the reality of it is that I am 64 and disabled. Having had three less than fully successful back surgeries. Thus I am leaning heavily towards buying one of the already converted Skoolies. Which I can then tweak and peak to suit my own tastes. Naturally all of this would be predicated on the candidates being in good shape and being a fair valve. They all look promising and I am keeping my fingers crossed that one of them will speak to me and then ultimately come home with me. I look forward to learning from everyone here and contributing where I can.

Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
In your situation I would not consider anything that has not been gutted and fully insulated before the conversion or you'll regret it up the road. all lot of people will justify not doing it because "I won't be in any really cold or hot places", famous last words. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Go to the UserCP (per left) and fill out your profile so we know where you are to better answer local related questions.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:42 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E
Excellent suggestion!
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996