Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #1

Greetings from Atlanta! Advice from singles to help get started??

Hello to All!

My name is Burns and I'm looking for advice from any singles out there who may have gone through the same emotional tug-of-war that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on getting started!

I've read and followed and researched to exhaustion. I know what I want. It's just all quite overwhelming without someone to bounce ideas off, free of judgement.

Of everything I've come across, I think what sticks out most is that downsizing to a mini/short is almost the unanimous way of thinking. Furthermore, since I'm doing this alone, I've accepted smaller as better for an individual nomad (and pup).

One thing is certain: I am excited and anxious to begin this next chapter in my life! I'm just having some writer's block when putting pen to paper on how to begin this next chapter. I refuse to second-guess myself this time.

COVID-19 has been hard on so many people. I am blessed to say that quarantine has given me a chance to slow down, take personal inventory of what brings value to my life, and finally move forward with some direction and purpose.

I have been exploring tiny homes for years, but always afraid of what others may think. It took a lot of loss, heartache, and hardship to learn that I had to accept myself before I could expect anyone else to accept me for simply being myself.

Recently on a trip back to SC to visit family, my dad and I went to see a friend who'd just bought an old RV. It was nothing special, but it was perfect for the guy (a bit younger than myself) and his needs at the moment. He'd parked it on some family land and I exclaimed internally, "wow...this is a blank canvas!" That was my "AHA!" moment. I knew I could do it! All the tiny home shows and videos and Instagram accounts I'd seen over the years came flooding back at once. I felt at peace for a change.

I have since set up my dad's camper on our family land back in SC. Now that I am not tied to an office, I'm moving out of my apartment to temporarily stay in the camper while building so I can begin living in a much smaller space and have time to find out what I deem "necessary" for myself. My dad is the handiest person I know, followed by my brother. I am very handy, but don't hold a candle to them. We've all spent time building homes and whatever around the house, so I am in ideal hands there, but obviously renovating a skoolie is new to us all.

I'd love any tips to get started properly, especially from any other singles out there about what you've experienced (positives and negatives) and what you'd do differently, if anything, given the opportunity.

Thanks guys! I look forward to getting to know many of you and joining the community full-time very soon! I can't wait to get out there and make some memories of my own.

BU(RN)S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Are you building a bus to travel in or building it as a stationary tiny home? You seem to talk about downsizing, tiny homes but nothing about wanting to travel. If you're not planning to travel why bother with a vehicle, just build a tiny home on a foundation and call it a day.

If you're planning to build a skoolie to travel then tell us what you think you want and I think folks here will respond with input but it's hard to tell where you're going with your post.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:10 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Living in the camper for a bit is a smart move and will give you a better sense of what you want and need. I find that a really nice bed, that does not need to be set up, and taken down with each use, and a decent bathroom with a shower are important. Quality materials, like real wood instead of partical board with a veneer, or vinyl make it feel good. It is a small space so spending more on quality does not cost a lot more. When we built our house we built small so we could build well, instead of large and cheap. We were a bit ahead of the "tiny home" movement.

As already mentioned how much if any traveling do you plan to do? Any bus will do if you are not going to drive it much if at all. On the road all the time with lots of driving then it becomes really important which bus you choose. Generally a rear engine bus is favored for lots of driving. Thomas "safe t liner" is a good example. The ultimate are Crowns. Many of the shorties are not good road trip buses, geared low, and low end engines and transmissions. Although there are exceptions.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote

« Newbie | Need Help »