Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: THOMAS BUILT
Chassis: INTERNATIONAL
Engine: INTERNATIONAL 7.9L
Rated Cap: 29,800
Greetings from new member

Hello to everyone in the group. I have been looking around for about two weeks. Bought a 1995 Thomas built International bus about two months ago. Always wanted one and finally pulled the trigger. Good bus. Solid body, strong engine, 7.6L I believe. 120,000 miles and everything WAS functioning fine.

As I stated I bought it a couple of months ago and working alone on Sundays only (damm job) I have gotten all the seats and flooring removed. I have also removed both the factory AC and heating units. They worked but were just leaking to much water and causing a lot of rust under the floor. As I have been working I have kept the batteries disconnected to keep them from draining and reconnecting them on a weekly basis to start and run the engine for short periods just to keep it from sitting to long.

In order to get all the flooring out and all the AC and heating wiring and hoses I had to remove the control panel to the left of the drivers seat. Made my diagram and then removed it. I put it all back today because I needed to move the bus (HOA issues) to a new location. Now I am getting the alarm that you get when one of the exits is open and it won't start because of this.

Any ideas on this? I have been trying to find an electrical schematic but with no luck. If I am not mistaken the door and emergency exit switches are open when the doors are closed and then close when the doors are opened and sound the alarms.

Also I have seen that some people remove the inner skin and some do not.
Any recommendations on this. We are in TX so heat is a bigger issue than cold but we do plan on hitting the road once it is completed so a comfortable temp would be nice.

Thanks to everyone here and I hope to contribute more and not just me a lurker.

Thanks
Mark & Kelly

MEFTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
Skoolie

Welcome to the forum!

Lets see some pics of the new bus! Sounds like you are making a good start!
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:49 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

If the bus has vandal locks on the emergency doors you would have a starter interlock. With the locks engaged it acts like a park/neutral safety switch. Sometimes those locks became very tempermental and would think the lock was still engaged when it was open.

If you can find the switches and fix them so the lock is always open you should be able to get things going again.

The only other alternative would be to bypass all of the interlocks and have the key switch go directly to the starter solenoid.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:59 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
Rated Cap: 15
New as well but hello and welcome.

I removed the fiberglass inner shell of my shuttle bus permanently and plan on sanding the inside of the main shell and then painting.

No safety switches on my bus but have dealt with plenty of faulty kickstand switches on motorcycles...usually pulling the switch and splicing the wires works but YMMV.

Tags
electrical, help please!, newbie