Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2020, 01:07 PM   #1

Greetings from the Frozen North!!

Hey all! I've wanted a school bus since I took one to school as a kid. Well, now my wife and I (and the four kidlets) are moving on from tents and have decided that a skoolie is the way to go, and with everyone isolated (due to Covid-19), now is the perfect time to have a major project to get to work on.

We're looking for an 8-window with either a DT466(e) or a T-444(e) with something that isn't a 545 transmission (from the reading I've done, seems like these are the most best combination of reliable and readily-available parts that don't cost one of your children), but are having a real tough time finding anything like it North of the border.

Does anyone know where we could/should be looking? What with the virus, searching south of the border isn't an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

pj_jazzy_janz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
If you had a bus already, then yes, this would be s great time to work on it. But, since you do not have a bus, I wouldn't rush out and grab the first one that came along. Most of us took months to find the bus that best suited our needs/wants. So, keep shopping.
If you have a good idea what size bus you want, try drawing some floor plans or even tape out the area you will have...basically 7 1/2 feet wide by the length.
Being patient with the acquisition will pay huge dividends later.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the encouragement to stay patient. We've been looking for a few months now, and we haven't found anything that's right for us. We're certainly not going to rush out and get something just to have it. There just doesn't seem to be what we want out there. But I guess it only takes one...

There's no resource like this (that I've found, anyway) in Canada, so I was wondering if anyone here knew of some nooks and crannies to look in that we aren't aware of yet.
pj_jazzy_janz is offline   Reply With Quote