Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #1

Thumbs up Griffin Radiator

Hi, Jeremy here from Griffin Radiator in Piedmont, SC. I have some friends doing a conversion and through research with them found the Skoolie forum.

If you ever have any radiator or cooling needs feel free to reach out anytime. We are making hand built aluminum radiators for everything from: Hot Rods, Heavy Duty, Commercial, Aircraft Support, Muscle Cars, Dual Pass, LS Swap Applications, Hummer, and many many more.

Our site is: www.griffinrad.com

Looking forward to learning a lot here while helping my friends with their conversion!

Griffin Thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Hi,

Have to say I have used Griffen in the past for hot rod projects and was pleased. However for my bus the core to header bond leaked on 2 of them. I did get money back, and ended up finding a junkyard radiator and having it re-cored. This is holding up very well.

I do not want to "bash" Griffen, however do hope this was just one of those things that did not work out well, and for others they will have a great experience.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Hi Jeremy, Thanks for reaching out to us. I’m using one of your cxu 00001 oil coolers and it is working fine. Can you give us a BTU rating on your oil coolers? A lot of the buses we run have limited transmission cooling. Thanks
Old 05-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #4

We don't have BTU ratings for the oil coolers.

These were developed originally for the King of The Hammers dessert race for teams with high-performance rigs running rock and dirt courses. At the time BTU rating was not the concern as they were built specifically for these racers.

As we see them being used and supported for many other applications now, I can't say definitively if we will add a rating in the future or not.

I will list the specs of the CXU-00001 you mentioned incase anyone is interested in exactly that that measures out to be.

Finish: Aluminium/Black
Core Size: 13.75 X 12.82 X 3
Trans Cooler: Transmission, Engine, Power Steering Fluids
Trans Cooler Fittings: 1/2(in) npt" NPT
1 rows of 1.75(in) tubing
Inlet/Outlet: TL/BL
Inlet/Outlet Size: 1/2 in NPT"/1/2 in NPT"
Overall Size: 19.75 x 12.82 x 6.09
Description: Griffin Universal Fluid Cooler (Large) for Transmission Fluid, Engine Oil, Power Steering Fluid etc. 19.5" X 13" Dual Pass 1 row of 1.75" Tube

Combo Thickness: 6.09 (in)
SpalŪ Fan Info: Single 12 (in) 1640 CFM Paddle Blade
Shipping Info: Weight-20(lbs), Length-23.5(in), Width-8.5(in), Height-35.5(in)

I hope this helps
Old 05-11-2021, 07:28 AM   #5

I'm glad everything went smoothly on the hot rod projects. I wish I had more insight to what happened with the other units.

I know in many cases if we are using a unit outside of what it was designed to be used in, there can be a bit of trial and error at times. The guys here are typically pretty understanding and helpful when trying to get a new set up going.

Feel free to reach out anytime.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Glad to have you here. We've used your products for decades auto racing. Any issues we had were handled quickly and resolved correctly.

Tags
cooling, radiator