Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Guy with a bus trying to ski

What's up people? the title really says it all.. I've got a 1990 International that I've stripped and got the sub floor and some framing in. I started spray foaming the inside today, it worked pretty well but I'm going to have to spend some time shaving the foam down.

I've got some skoolie questions also if anyone could help a brother out
Where does a generator attach to? Can it be plugged in where I normally plug in shore power?. Or do I need a different inlet? I have a 50amp automatic transfer switch.
Do the cables from the alternator attach directly to the battery or is there a fuse in between or anything?
Has anyone spent much time in the snow in a skoolie? I'm a bit worried about condensation on the windows when its -10 out and then freezing. I'm considering maybe trying to build storm windows for it.

SkiSkooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Unless you insulate the windows in some way you are going to get condensation on the inside of the windows. It will be a particular problem if you use a propane stove or have a shower inside.

A dry heat like a wood stove will help but if you don't allow for a fresh air intake a wood stove can cause a lot of cold drafts as it sucks in air for combustion.

You can get a bus insulated well enough to withstand sub-zero temps. The same insulation will help keep the bus cooler in the summer.

While insulating will help to keep it warmer inside it won't address the condensation on the inside of the windows. You will need to find some way in which to insulate them or you will be getting a lot of moisture on the inside that can start the floor rotting or causing mold and mildew to start growing.

There are some workarounds that help to keep the heat inside while still retaining the windows. Others on here who have done them can elaborate on what might be best to do.

Good luck and happy trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:05 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSkooli View Post
Where does a generator attach to?
Gen attaches to transfer switch

Can it be plugged in where I normally plug in shore power?.
A simple transfer switch is having your circut panel input be a cable that plugs in the generator or the shore power.

Or do I need a different inlet?
I have a 50amp automatic transfer switch.

Manufacturer has PDF instructions. What model?

Do the cables from the alternator attach directly to the battery or is there a fuse in between or anything?

I have seen both ways- no fuse and a 200 amp fusible link.

reply in text
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, bus, new guy, skoolie