Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1974
Engine: 432 V6 Slanted 60°
Gymnasium flooring.....

Has anyone used old reclaimed gym flooring? If so what's your experience been? I got a good deal of $1sqf of 3/4 maple still nailed to the 2 1/2 subfloor. That would cut my cost down by at least half.Figured my plywood cost would be $320 plus my flooring would be about another $300. Total sqf of bus is 255sqf. I just rounded up to 300 to have extra maple flooring for a table or bench to make.

droppedout74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Old school maple flooring? Go for it! The stuff is beautiful and wears like iron. It also goes in the old school way; no tongue and groove stuff, etc. You'll probably want to strip it before you install it. A good topping of polyurethane will keep that floor beautiful for years!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Bus Nut

If you have the rubber floor I wouldn't a few years ago it was deemed toxic.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1974
Engine: 432 V6 Slanted 60°
The rubber flooring in the bus? It's already been gutted out, there's linoleum on it now, just gonna lay it on top and seal up any small existing hole's. The guy I'm getting it from said it came from a gym floor in WA. Guess the pull out bleachers they had that went over it when pulled out for games didn't adapt well to it due to the height of floor and where the bleachers needed to be set. He's got 2x8 whole panels that he ripped up with a skilsaw. All I gotta do is rip them down to 91" and slap them in. Thinking bout just renting a big ass floor sander and lay them out on the driveway after stripping the polyurethane it currently has then reapply it.
droppedout74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I was thinking of the rubber floor used in gyms.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:18 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I'm so JEALOUS!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by droppedout74 View Post
Has anyone used old reclaimed gym flooring? If so what's your experience been? I got a good deal of $1sqf of 3/4 maple still nailed to the 2 1/2 subfloor. That would cut my cost down by at least half.Figured my plywood cost would be $320 plus my flooring would be about another $300. Total sqf of bus is 255sqf. I just rounded up to 300 to have extra maple flooring for a table or bench to make.
I've bought some of that before; my idea was to saw it into strips along the old seams, then use it to make built-up ("bricklaid") bowls to sell.

What I found, at least for the what I bought (all from one gym demo & redo) is that it had been sanded down and refinished enough that the actual thickness of what was still there varied from a solid 3/4" to a sneeze. I don't know if that will bother you in your application, but it's something to think about. At least sight over the surface and see if it's dished in places.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote