Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Shuttle Bus w/ co-pilot
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger - Originally
Gypsy Josh & the gang out of Iowa

Rig: 1998 Ford E450 Shuttle Bus with 7.3L Diesel
Originations;
Rig: Texas
Family: Iowa
Intent: Convert rig to RV for (at least) 18 months of full time travel

I found this forum a few days ago after our travel plans morphed from a month long trip through Alaska and BANFF to a 18 months tour around the states and (hopefully) all state parks.

We started out with a 2000 Chevy Express 2500 3/4 ton 12 passenger van I intended on making the travel mobile and pulling a travel trailer. Well, that plan busted when we found out the van needed a new engine so we were back to the drawing board. We figured with that we would forego the expense of a new engine AND a travel trailer and just get an "all-in-one" rig and go with a custom set up in a bus.

Fast forward until we found one we liked in MN about 4 hours up the road and struck a deal over the phone but quickly changed our minds when we learned how dismal the MPG was in a gas rig. We cancelled that deal the same night and decided we would start searching for a diesel. Intimidated a little by the fact that I have never owned a diesel and knowing we would have to spend some extra money, I am handy and savvy enough to know we could make it work.

So, the next day we found a diesel rig about 4 hours the opposite direction from the first, in Kansas City. We also found another 5 hours from us in Wisconsin at the same time. KC rig was priced more like we wanted but the WI rig looked a little cleaner and had 50k less miles at 150k, down from the 200 on the KC rig. We decided we would go with the lesser priced rig and know that we could use the extra money for any needed repairs and since we weren't looking for a beauty queen anyway, we wouldn't worry about what it looked like. We are planning a complete gut and remodel anyway!

After we get around for the morning we head out to Kansas City to go look at, and most likely purchase, our new diesel home! We are about 45 minutes out when we get a phone call that says "Sorry, but my wife just told me you were coming to look at the bus and it has actually already been sold" .. and my response was something like, "You've got to be f-ing kidding me?" With our tails between our legs we spun around and headed home while my co-pilot scoured craigslist for a new option.

About halfway home her phone went crazy and Craigslist blocked her IP address? for some reason so that cut our search short. It just wasn't our day ..One good thing out of all this is we were able to see A LOT of different buses and their setups and find out the things we would really like to have out of a rig.

...AND THAT'S WHEN IT HAPPENED. Almost as soon as I walked in the door I sat down at the computer and got to work researching. Somehow I ended up on craigslist in Texas and we found it. The rig we wanted. 24 passenger. Shuttle bus. 7.3 diesel. CO-PILOT SEAT!!! In our price range. & a couple things we didn't expect, but love, like a backup camera and a rear luggage hatch! This was it. This is what we had been waiting for. I struck the deal, booked the flight, and I will be picking it up tomorrow!

I am attaching a lot of pictures because I know you guys love them! I will also be starting another thread with our build once I get it picked up.

Hope it makes the 1000 mile trip home!!

Thank everyone for the inspiration and the rally point for some great knowledge. I look forward to interacting with you, and hopefully meeting up sometime along the road.

Gypsy Josh, out.
Attached Thumbnails
b1.jpg   b2.jpg   b3.jpg   b4.jpg   b5.jpg  

b6.jpg   b7.jpg   b8.jpg   b9.jpg   b10.jpg  

b11.jpg   b12.jpg   b13.jpg   b14.jpg   b15.jpg  

b16.jpg   b17.jpg   b18.jpg   b19.jpg   b20.jpg  

Gypsy Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Congrats on the bus! How much did she end up going for? I know how you feel, I've lost out on 2 buses I really like, and stumbled into another one yesterday after losing the auction for one I was watching, and I ended up buying it last night. I was so excited, when I went into work after one of my coworkers said I had a glow about me, lol.

What are your plans for the build? How many passengers?

Welcome to the bus life!
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

We are picking it up for $3200. Which is about the value of a 7.3 and the matching tranny, if you ask me.

We have a full time family of 4, myself, my wifey, a 8 year old, and a baby. Also, a part time family of 6. 10 and 9 year olds with ex-wife. That's the biggest challenge, not being close to the other 2, but something we feel like we can manage with a pretty open visitation schedule.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Josh View Post
We are picking it up for $3200. Which is about the value of a 7.3 and the matching tranny, if you ask me.

We have a full time family of 4, myself, my wifey, a 8 year old, and a baby. Also, a part time family of 6. 10 and 9 year olds with ex-wife. That's the biggest challenge, not being close to the other 2, but something we feel like we can manage with a pretty open visitation schedule.
that sounds like good price to me! Im loving that rear door on the garage area. That would be way cooler on a school bus than the original door. maybe something im gonna come back to when im building mine. I was married, and my wife had kids with her ex, so i understand how it can be challenging.

Good luck with the trip home! ill be making my trip on friday, just over 500 miles
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

We LOVE the back hatch.