Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 01:38 AM   #1

Year: 1966
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: Cummings 8.3 diesel pusher, Allison auto trans
Smile Happy to be here with our Gillig

Hello All,
My husband and I jumped in with both feet and bought a 1966 Gillig Schoolie. We are board members for a girl's softball league, and travel a lot going to softball tournaments all over California. We have been seriously discussing buying an RV for about a year, with the major criteria being that it needed to be a diesel. My husband is a career diesel mechanic, and while he's been in management for the past 20 years, he still bleeds diesel and loves to work on them. With that in mind, we looked at lots of RV's but never really found anything we liked. Then, while searching online I came across an ad for a lonely '66 Gillig that needed a home about three hours from home. It was converted by the previous owner, given a new crate Cummings and Allison combo and then sat for ten years untouched. Due to divorce he finally decided to sell, and priced her fairly low (9K) in order to get a quick sale. We fell in love with the photos and actually put a deposit before we could see her in person because there was a lot of competition and we didn't want to miss out on her. The first opportunity we had to take a trip there we did, and were SO glad that we had sent the deposit. She was better than the photos by far. There is some small rusty spots on the roof, but nothing that my husband (also an excellent welder) can't handle. The interior is about 80% done, just needs some finishing touches to be perfect for what we wanted. So top priority now is new wheels and tires, AC system (former owner didn't put one in) and paint. With my husband's contacts in the trucking industry, we can get great prices on things that regular people can't. This was a big part of why he wanted a diesel in the first place. Anyway, we are really happy to join the Schoolie family and we are thankful for this site and all of it's resources. If anyone would like to see our photo album so far, here is is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/303510...57670354955776

DaBopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome!
Cool old bus. Nice interior and drivetrain.
You're gonna want to get really aggressive with some major rust repair soon from the looks of it in those pics. There is almost surely some funk behind the walls from the holes in the roof.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome!

I adore all that natural wood grain. Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Welcome from Northern California nice find, Now about those contacts,,

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig