Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 87
Head first

Hello everyone!

I've been creeping on the forums here for four years and finally dove in and bought a 2001 Thomas Saf-T-Liner. After my apartment caught fire and I ended up homeless again, I bought a 20ft bell tent and set up a base camp on the James River for the purpose of building, troubleshooting and living with the systems and amenities that, when complete, will be transplanted to the bus.

I'm working with a budget of almost nothing at this point, but no bills either. I have access to tools, friends and ice cold beers, so this project should move along nicely. I intend to have it livable by the end of the summer.

I'll be seeking advice on electrical and engine stuff, mostly, as my background is in structural stuff, electronics, and computers.

It's nice to be at this point, and I look forward to the input of those with experience and wisdom.

Conley
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  

Bus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Congrats on the bus. Nothing like necessity to get a conversion going fast... Beer helps too.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Welcome! I'm looking forward to following your progress. Are you completely camping out at this point? Do you have electricity or plumbing accessible? Perhaps you should go all Doonesbury on us and name the bus Walden Puddle.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #4

We are currently camping completely off grid. I've started a modular solar setup and am currently living with and testing it while we work on the bus. This bus will be 99.9% used for boon-docking. Plumbing is coming along pretty well at the campsite. I've got a propane camp shower, and I'm two fitting from having my thermosiphon setup running on a wood stove to heat our water barrel.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus11 View Post
We are currently camping completely off grid. I've started a modular solar setup and am currently living with and testing it while we work on the bus. This bus will be 99.9% used for boon-docking. Plumbing is coming along pretty well at the campsite. I've got a propane camp shower, and I'm two fitting from having my thermosiphon setup running on a wood stove to heat our water barrel.
So will this tech travel with you? Are you setting it up onsite to work out the bugs before you travel with it? Or are they separate systems with separate intent?

As usual, the cry goes up - Pictures! We need pictures!
Old 05-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
So will this tech travel with you? Are you setting it up onsite to work out the bugs before you travel with it? Or are they separate systems with separate intent?

As usual, the cry goes up - Pictures! We need pictures!
These systems are being tested in the open at the campsite and transplanted to the bus when the structural elements are complete. I've had more paid work than I know what to do with recently, So I haven't gotten around to more pics, but the next step is wire wheeling the undercarriages and treating for rust. I'll post pics at the end of this week if it doesn't keep raining here..
Old 05-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
These systems are being tested in the open at the campsite and transplanted to the bus when the structural elements are complete. I've had more paid work than I know what to do with recently, So I haven't gotten around to more pics, but the next step is wire wheeling the undercarriages and treating for rust. I'll post pics at the end of this week if it doesn't keep raining here..
Having "more paid work than I know what to do with" sure beats the other extreme! Good luck; watch the work/life balance. Our rain stopped a couple days ago in DC; hope your weather follows suit.

Wire wheeling the undercarriage sounds like quite the undertaking. Why are you doing that? Most folk here wither put up with the amount of rust present under the bus, or buy a different bus.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Having "more paid work than I know what to do with" sure beats the other extreme! Good luck; watch the work/life balance. Our rain stopped a couple days ago in DC; hope your weather follows suit.

Wire wheeling the undercarriage sounds like quite the undertaking. Why are you doing that? Most folk here wither put up with the amount of rust present under the bus, or buy a different bus.
We've got another storm front moving in today and rain forecasted for the rest of this week as well... So I'm waiting. Ugh...

I figure I'll only be doing this once, so I'm doing it right. Wire wheeling the undercarriage and painting it with a rust inhibitor will give me peace of mind, hopefully for years. I'm going for complete restoration from the ground up.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #9

The next job:

It's not really ugly, but I'm gonna clean it up and paint down here anyway. I might also weld in the hold tank mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It's not really ugly, but I'm gonna clean it up and paint down here anyway. I might also weld in the hold tank mounts.
It's looking right nice to me just the way it is! Start with pressure washing a section of the underbody and seeing what that turns up. That might just be grime over the paint it came out of the factory with.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I agree with Dan. That looks pretty nice underneath. You're aiming at a very difficult job of cleaning up the undercarriage.

Is it possible that an undercoating could actually retain moisture at times?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #12

Ceiling out.

Ceiling is out now. Windows, side panels and floor comes out this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Ceiling is out now. Windows, side panels and floor comes out this weekend.
Congratulations on the bus, and I am sorry to hear about your fire. I have always said a person's wealth is not measured by their money but rather by the friends they have.

I am about the same point in my conversion and look forward to exchanging notes!
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote