Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
Skoolie

Hello

Hello all, I have been digesting as much info as I can amnd shopping for a bus with a dt466 or Cummins and Allison 643 but am struggling because my work schedule blows and won't allow me to travel to get a bus. It is likely I will get a bus here if I can find one which is a little tricky because I'm guessing there's not much a need for the better tranny here. My girlfriend and I are saving to quit our jobs and live out of the bus for a year or more. We will do temp jobs here and there but really wanna go backpacking around the west side of the country. I'm hoping to live out of the bus a while. I want to insulate the bus and do a wood burning stove. Other then that I've been purely researching and shopping for the specific drive train with little rust and a 5k spending limit.

EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
Skoolie

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/rvs/5295402045.html
I am going to go look at this bus on Tuesday. He said 3500 is lowest he'd go. Needs air bags for rear suspension. Said rust isn't too bad but that's a concern of mine. It'sclose to my home and has the drive train I want I'll be looking to verify the engine and trans, looking for rust, and bringing an oil sample to a mechanic. If anyone has other advice let me know
Old 01-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Don't forget to check the tires. A half dozen bus tires can get expensive real fast.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
If its FROM Michigan, I'd run away. The rust I've seen on MI buses has been severe.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I agree, RUN AWAY!!!!! There are much better options at auctions down south. I got my bus from an on-line auction for $2K straight from the school system in California. I called the lead mechanic and talked with him for about 45 minutes about the bus before making up my mind to bid. Talking with the mechanics will help you unlock the vehicle's history fast. From start to finish I spent about 10 days and $3K including purchase price to fly to California from Texas, get her serviced in California, and drive her home - all 1,800 miles in 115* heat in the shade. But I'd do it all over again. This bus is worth it. That one is a rust bucket, maybe even a Bondo-bucket special. I'm VERY suspicious about a bus with laminate flooring left in it. Laminate just sucks in the water and will not let water escape its clutches.

Air bag replacement isn't cheap either. I'd definitely be looking for a more reliable spring ride system to cut your maintenance costs way down.

Do what you want, but if it were me, I'd be looking for a better deal for less money in the South or West.

M1031
Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #6
Skoolie

Probably not a bad idea... I would have to take a vacation and that would be hard to time out. I suppose I could consider looking into the price of having a bus delivered
Old 01-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
I would have to take a vacation and that would be hard to time out.
I was in the same pickle, but I got it worked out. Ended up taking two vacation days, ONLY because Colorado DMV is closed on weekends.

Took a night train from IL to Denver on a wednesday night and was back home in IL with my bus Friday morning. If the DMV were open on weekends in Colorado, I wouldn't have had to take time off.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
Skoolie

Well I'll just keep my eyes peeled on govdeals and publicsurplus auctions
Old 01-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Air bags aren't that tough a job and cost less than $200 each, usually. If you're going to travel a lot, I think it's the best suspension hands down. IF you're going to be parked more, I'd stick with springs. Unless your air system has 0 leaks (not many skoolies we get our hands on do), your bus will sag over time while it's parked.

Best of luck on your search!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
But I still wouldn't buy that bus ;)
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Rust is sort of an eye-of-the-beholder kind of evaluation.

Bad rust as observed by someone from the dry SW where paint bubbling is considered bad rust is not the same as bad rust as observed by someone in MI.

I purchased a used bus in Grand Rapids. I was surprised at how little rust was under the bus. I have actually seen more rust on buses that have seen all of their service life in WA state.

Since you live in MI you should be able to evaluate how bad the rust might be on that bus.

Even if you were able to purchase a bus for less $$$ somewhere else you will need to factor in how much it will cost to get it back home to where you are--travel to where the bus is, meals and lodging there and back, fuel, and the real possibility of a break down.

Personally I think the bus is a pretty good deal as long as rust isn't an issue.

Good luck!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #12
Skoolie

I'm still going to check it out because its so close
I figure a little rust isn't a major deal breaker
Old 01-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Take a flashlight and some "crawling under" clothes.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #14
Skoolie

Any specific areas of concern I should be looking a little more closely for?
Old 01-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #15

Year: 2006
Chassis: E450 cutaway
Engine: 6.0l Powerstroke Diesel
Rated Cap: 23 pass + dvr
Check govdeals.com.
woods1970@hotmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
Skoolie

Someone brought to my attention the 40 foot bus may be a struggle on more angled pavement with the back sticking out so much. Anyone have any insight or advice? I won't be driving super frequently but I wanted to do a national parks tour but will probably be parking for weeks at a time before moving to the next town
Old 01-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Most 40 footers have about 12' of overhang in the rear which does limit how much grade you can handle without dragging. But then again, most skoolies have quite a bit of ground clearance to begin with so it it can be a wash. They go just about everywhere down in Mexico and the roads there are tough.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:45 AM   #18
Skoolie

Yeah I was thinking it's only 4 or 5 feet longer than normal and I wasn't sure if it would make much a difference
Old 01-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #19
Bus Geek

There is typically enough overhang that one needs to be constantly aware of both the drag possibility as well as the "swing" which can cause more serious issues. Adding a roller under the rear (like those on the high-end coaches) will hep with drag, but the swing is strictly a matter for the pilot to manage.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #20
Skoolie

I checked out the bus. Quite rusty. What issues would I run into with that? I can post pics in a bit once i figure it out so i can get a 2nd opinion but i know all you folks in the sout will scoff. I think I can get him down. To 2700 and I'm waiting for an oil test. I know I should probably keep looking but it's got a trailer hitch wired for lights, already painted and gutted and has the engine and tranny I want.