Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 01:24 AM   #1

Hello!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and have enjoyed reading the excellent advice offered on an impressive range of topics.

Converting a bus has been in the back of my mind for a long time, and many of you probably started out in the same way. I grew up around family members who were mechanics, machinists, electricians, craftsmen, tradesmen, engineers, technicians, and farmers. After 20 years of corporate life, the idea of full timing off-grid in a skoolie sure seems appealing!

Just today I was driving alonside a "Type D" Thomas bus on the highway. It leads me to wonder what type of engine and transmission was onboard as it was traveling between 65-70 mph. I'm aware that many school buses aren't designed for these speeds, yet recall going on several long trips in high school where the bus cruised along just fine. Is this the exception rather than the norm? Do fleets have specific buses which are geared and designated for long trips? (Engine, transmission ratio, etc.)

The flat front, rear engine buses catch my interest. Perhaps it's a subconscious thing since the body style resembles a coach or RV. At the same time, I've spent enough time doing basic auto repairs to appreciate the ease of maintaining a Type C or "dog nose" style.

I've seen quite a few commercial trucks with solid frames and varying sizes which looked like they would be great for hauling a "tiny house" around, but imagine that these are more expensive and difficult to purchase, register, insure, and maintain. The same could probably be said for charter or city buses.

In the meantime, here are a couple of links for your amusement

bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote