Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello

Hello people this is my first post so I think it's proper I introduce my lovely lady first and just get some pointers on the special little gem I think I got. She's an 89 B600 with the Ford New Holland straight 6. Runs like a top. Typical pull anything but won't get over 55 comfortably which is fine with simple respect of the era it came from. Showed up at the church lot to view several buses which weren't at all bad but I seen this one sitting way in the back hidden by a bunch of overgrowth. Asked the seller about her and he gave me the story how nobody really got interested in her and she had just sat. Recently outr modern generation of youth had started taking it's toll. But anyways popped the hood realized the beauty that was sitting there in front of me and instantly started talking numbers. I originally showed up expecting to spend three years of saved up spare change which I must say was alot. But we got to talking he forewarned me he knew nothing about it because it had sat for five years. Checked all the fluids ran down to Walmart grabbed two of those big ninety dollar batteries and rushed back. Finished talking numbers and handed the guy a thousand bucks. He walked away mumbling....problay about how a sucker is born every day. Well got in turned the key and click nothing but hammer hitting metal sound out from underneath the hood. Being a man of extreme faith and knowing how things on these old diesels like this like to just be a PITA wasnt hopeless yet. Got in the back of the Tahoe grabbed my trusty man hammer got the wife to turn the key and pinpointed the noise to the starter which I suspected. Put my back into it and talked to it like a ford. Figured spray the airfilter with some other and pray really hard to nthe God's of Murphy's law. Well long story short bam she actually started. Lots of smoke but after twenty minutes smooth as marbles in a mason jar.after about twenty minutes smoke getting worse mind you. Buzzer went off for the breaks and I was ready to try this out. Well varoom varoom nothing air breaks disengaged and nothing then a huge boom from the rear. Ok before I panic common sense tells me it's the breaks finally letting go and sure enough we were mobile but dear no mosquitos in six counties. Took it really easy at first keeping at about 50 well buy this time all the cling clang boom boom had my nerves shot but yet again another huff and puff and boy she blew a puff. Poor wife following behind had to back off fifty feet she started to stall but at five miles home I wasn't giving up so I just put the petal down she hiccupped and picked right back She really started smoothing out and the smoke started letting up buy the time she made it home she actually ran like a 90k mile 20 odd years old bus. Well that's the story of our new sadly abused and neglected family member. I'll post pictures later as of now she's completely gutted no seats no metal roof just bare bones. Alot of work but it's better than what the local youth had done

Rastefaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastefaryan View Post
Hello people this is my first post so I think it's proper I introduce my lovely lady first and just get some pointers on the special little gem I think I got. She's an 89 B600 with the Ford New Holland straight 6. Runs like a top. Typical pull anything but won't get over 55 comfortably which is fine with simple respect of the era it came from. Showed up at the church lot to view several buses which weren't at all bad but I seen this one sitting way in the back hidden by a bunch of overgrowth. Asked the seller about her and he gave me the story how nobody really got interested in her and she had just sat. Recently outr modern generation of youth had started taking it's toll. But anyways popped the hood realized the beauty that was sitting there in front of me and instantly started talking numbers. I originally showed up expecting to spend three years of saved up spare change which I must say was alot. But we got to talking he forewarned me he knew nothing about it because it had sat for five years. Checked all the fluids ran down to Walmart grabbed two of those big ninety dollar batteries and rushed back. Finished talking numbers and handed the guy a thousand bucks. He walked away mumbling....problay about how a sucker is born every day. Well got in turned the key and click nothing but hammer hitting metal sound out from underneath the hood. Being a man of extreme faith and knowing how things on these old diesels like this like to just be a PITA wasnt hopeless yet. Got in the back of the Tahoe grabbed my trusty man hammer got the wife to turn the key and pinpointed the noise to the starter which I suspected. Put my back into it and talked to it like a ford. Figured spray the airfilter with some other and pray really hard to nthe God's of Murphy's law. Well long story short bam she actually started. Lots of smoke but after twenty minutes smooth as marbles in a mason jar.after about twenty minutes smoke getting worse mind you. Buzzer went off for the breaks and I was ready to try this out. Well varoom varoom nothing air breaks disengaged and nothing then a huge boom from the rear. Ok before I panic common sense tells me it's the breaks finally letting go and sure enough we were mobile but dear no mosquitos in six counties. Took it really easy at first keeping at about 50 well buy this time all the cling clang boom boom had my nerves shot but yet again another huff and puff and boy she blew a puff. Poor wife following behind had to back off fifty feet she started to stall but at five miles home I wasn't giving up so I just put the petal down she hiccupped and picked right back She really started smoothing out and the smoke started letting up buy the time she made it home she actually ran like a 90k mile 20 odd years old bus. Well that's the story of our new sadly abused and neglected family member. I'll post pictures later as of now she's completely gutted no seats no metal roof just bare bones. Alot of work but it's better than what the local youth had done
Congrats on the bus, sorry about all the trouble it gave you. What are your plans for the bus? Is it going to be stationary or will you be driving it around? I'd definitely recommend getting the mechanical side figured out before going any further on the cabin.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Mechanical

Yeah I was really worried about the mechanicals myself but a local mechanic came by and checked it over most what I described to him honestly was just from sitting for five years and not being turned over. I can go out now she starts right off oils staying regular. About to start a lift on the roof going to be about a 26 inch lift another local friend offered us a deal on some surplus t111 thin siding the rain lip above where the windows used to be just offers a beautiful set up. As for interior going to be a full time tiny house for us and our four children. Been doing alot of research and there's a whole lot of options to repurpose certain aspects of the structurals that are already there. But for now main focus is on getting the roof lifted.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

WoW!

What an exciting start! haha I can't wait to see photos and see how this new family members fits in!
ThompsonEverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Definitely

It was very exciting to say the least. But like the mechanic said these old new Holland Ford's just don't die but have a tendency of getting very stiff lol.Told him I planned on driving it cross country from Texas to Maine and only suggestion he made was take scenic route. Already was planning on it.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #6

Hahaha! Sounds fantastic! Maine is beautiful!! Be sure to go whale watching when your there! Oh! And share photos!
ThompsonEverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote