Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #1

Hello!!

Hey Jamie here!
My husband and I are hoping we can purchase, convert and move into a Skoolie by end of July 2020.
Just starting the research now. There is so much to learn! Ongrid, or off-grid, compost toilet or black tank, propane or electrical.
It is very scary for us not knowing much of anything except that this life is calling us. We need this for our sanity, financial freedom and the nomadic life.
We live in an HOA so we can't park a bus here and work on it. Our lease is up August 2020. (Hense our goal and lack of immediate funds).
We are thinking about purchasing items throughout the year such as stove, sink, toilet etc... Save money for the bus and make the purchase between March and April of next year giving us 4 to 5 months to complete.
Hopefully we can work out the logistics of where we can work on it.
Any advice would be awesome!
From San Antonio, TX!

Jberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Yea! More Texans!

You guys might want to be careful about buying too much stuff before you have "THE" bus and a good solid plan. Seen many instances (including a few of my own) where well intended purchases turned out not to work/fit. Best bet really is to do your homework and then find the bus that is right for you before getting too deep in fixtures and such.

Just sayin.

Oh...and WELCOME!!!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Start looking for buses earlier. The big quantities at auctions usually happen right around school getting out. I would think pickings will be slim around you time frame for buying.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #4

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Yea! More Texans!

You guys might want to be careful about buying too much stuff before you have "THE" bus and a good solid plan. Seen many instances (including a few of my own) where well intended purchases turned out not to work/fit. Best bet really is to do your homework and then find the bus that is right for you before getting too deep in fixtures and such.

Just sayin.

Oh...and WELCOME!!!
Oh yes totally agree with you on that
Research is everything.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #5

Thank you for the tip
Old 01-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Start looking for buses earlier. The big quantities at auctions usually happen right around school getting out. I would think pickings will be slim around you time frame for buying.
Thank you for the tip
Old 01-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
I think we have built our bus three times before we were happy with it. Keep your eyes open for certain items your looking for. tempestsearch.com is where we found lots of our goodies. You might have to drive a bit but the savings is worth it. We got our 5500$ fridge for $800( fan was bad and returned to amazon guy worked there and was selling them), our washer/dryer combo 2000$ we got for $400 new from overstock, flooring from closeout store 100$ for the entire bus. But he best is my Cummins generator 5500 efi for 500$ ( guy bought a service truck for the front end he crashed and had no idea what that gen set is worth). Be very careful buying electronics like transfer switch or inverters. These things are just best to buy with a warranty( dont tell them its in a school bus) first words have always been "we dont cover school bus installs this was made for a house".

Good luck with your build!! This site is full of people that will be glad to help you along every step of the process.

Really good folks on here that sure have helped us.

Scott
www.skoolieadventures.com
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote