Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #1

Hello!

Hello everyone!

I haven't purchased a bus yet, but hope to do so within the next 6 months, or so. I am not much of a poster, and do diligent research before asking questions. About me... I was born in the Philippines (Navy brat), grew up in Massachusetts, spent 20 years in the Marine Corps and now reside in North Carolina. I'm currently the Supervisor for an automotive/heavy equipment maintenance department (after years as a wrench turner) aboard a military installation, as a civil service employee. My wife and I have spoken for years about living on the road once our kids are out of the house. I've always thought of having a big 5th wheel or Class A, but after doing more research, I think a skoolie is the way to go. I really like the idea of being able to build it exactly how we want it. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help I may receive!

Semper Fi!

Matt

USMC Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I suggest you do more research on Skoolies, in particular how long it takes most to finish one if they ever do...you would have the ability to diy the drivetrain fixes yourself so that is a plus.

You can re-build a 5th wheel trailer anyway you want, and in fact, is a much better start as it will have certain things you need already, like tanks, pumps, and electrical, and is taller and wider, and with slideouts WAY bigger.

It really depends on how much you move around. If you don't stay somewhere more than a couple days, the need for another vehicle is less, as you won't run out of beer or milk or cereal or water in 2 days. If you plan 14 day stays like national park limits, a trailer is much better giving you a vehicle to drive. And hitch and unhitch time no big deal.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I'll send you some info I've compiled for newbies. Check your PMs.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Nice, this thread is only three posts in and already a perfect example of how to be helpful and how not to be helpful (not in that order).